Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping Question ref/ free local pick up like Ebay is it possible???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Question ref/ free local pick up like Ebay is it possible???

Hi Guys how do i set actinics V7 so that if a customer is local they can order then pick the item after after paying via site, as i have had a few requests for this so far and i expect more due to local adds. Like on EBay im assuming something like when a customer picks country maybe have it available there "Local Pick up only" ??

I hope its possible can any one help

krono

You could have several choices of postage at checkout for the Uk, one being free for local pickup, another for second class and say another for first etc..
    Jenny
    Hanson Web Design
    www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
    Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Originally posted by krono
      Hi Guys how do i set actinics V7 so that if a customer is local they can order then pick the item after after paying via site, as i have had a few requests for this so far and i expect more due to local adds. Like on EBay im assuming something like when a customer picks country maybe have it available there "Local Pick up only" ??

I hope its possible can any one help

krono
      yes - setup a new class for your local geography as "Local Pickup" - enter the price of 0... simple.
      Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
      Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
      NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Originally posted by krono
        Hi Guys how do i set actinics V7 so that if a customer is local they can order then pick the item after after paying via site
        Hi krono, I'm not sure, but I think the Law does not allow a customer to pay for goods online and collect in person...I think it has something to do with 'card holder not present', and if the customer turns up for collection, then you are suppose to cancel their online order and make a new order over the counter.

Does anybody else know the Law on this or could point to where this is written, i can not find where i have read this?

Comment

I would agree with B Online, we would NEVER allow someone to order online then collect from our premises. I am sure your merchant will confirm that you are not allowed to do this, however even if they say you can I would not recommend it, we have been caught out once a few years agao and have never allowed it since.

Why not take the transaction, record the card details but word it as "Payment on collection". You can add some text somewhere saying the purchase will have to be signed/Pin entered when the customer collects. I cant imagine anyone genuine will mind this.

Dave
          Cheers

David
          Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

The points raised about cardholder not present and issues relating to releasing goods are valid ones - but they would hardly be a "law".

Perhaps a merchant would not be wise to allow this, and perhaps their merchant account might like the card to be swiped (which would result in a card being transacted at a lower rate perhaps), but many merchants (us included), do not have a PHYSICAL means of processing cards - only a virtual terminal and online methods - therefore, we don't have a swipe machine, and we have ONE rate for cards...

The OP should check with their merchant provider, but I don't think it would ever be "illegal"...?!??
            Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
            Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
            NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Thanks Guys for your comments, its given me something to think about, but if its not totaly legel then how come EBay do it, or maybe its becouse its a transaction between 2 private individuals ?, anyway many thanks you have all been a great help i love this forum, gives my webdesigner a break from my 1 million questions

krono

Comment

Hi Krono, if you trade online, then you are required to have a 'Merchant' traders account, this allows businesses to trade online. You can get a Merchant account from your Bank. We used Barclays for our 'Business Bank Account' but we got a 'Merchant Account' from Lloyds TSB even though we never had a Bank account with Lloyds TSB. Beware, like everything else, they cost money and they vary from Bank to Bank

I recall that the ruling on 'Card holder not present' was within Lloyd’s Merchant agreement. The ruling in the agreement might not be Government Law as such, but it is in a Law abiding agreement with Lloyds. If you do not abide by the terms of the agreement, you are in breech of this Law abiding agreement and therefore breaking the Law.

This info is only given as advice and not to be taken as judgment. We are all learning and when the day comes when I stop learning that will be the day I have lost the plot. Some might say I already have!

My advice would be if you require a Merchant account, then shop around for a good price read the Terms & Conditions carefully. And yes it is a great Forum and I have learnt most of what I need from here. Fantastic!

Comment

EBay use Pay-pal to take a transaction online, Pay-pal then become in effect your 'Merchant Account' they hold your money taken from online sales made through credit or switch cards or what ever your supplier allows.

You will find more info on Merchant Accounts here: http://www.merchantseek.com/basicfaq...hant%20account

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X