turn off search for some products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn off search for some products

hi, is it possable to turn off searching on some products. I am using catalog 6.1.4.
    I have some products listed that i would like to omit from the serach results, any way to do this.
    Thanks
    Wesley Thorne
    Treasure Island Sweets

Hi Wesley,

Within Version 6, Actinic searches on the short description and full description of each product. I'm afraid there is no way you would omit a product from the search results unless that product is hidden. I will add this comment to our wishlist to have a feature where you can omit certain products from searching.

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

It might be possible to patch the SearchScript.pl to omit a product if the Product Reference contained a certain string (e.g. -X). I.e product xyz-17 would show but xyz-17-X would be hidden.

Would you be able to do that to your product references?
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

HI, thanks for the replys. I have about 100 products that i dont want to show on search results, so patching the scripts is to time consuming.
        Thanks
        wesley
        Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I managed to come up with a bit of a botch to exclude certain sections from the search, have a look at this thread:
          http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=7161

It won't be very practical if you do a lot of updates to your site.

I feel that the search function is something Actinic should be looking at revamping in any future versions, especially being able to exclude certain products/sections from the search as this seems to get asked for quite often.

Peter
          Printerbase - Colour & Mono Laser Printers

Comment

You'd only need a tiny patch put in once.

Then you simply add -X to each Product's Reference (or Product Name) for those you want omitted.

Comment

I strongly agree that the search function needs a revamp.

I would like to be able to restrict search to just the product title. Searching on product description with our range brings up a far too broad result page, as many of our products contain references to other products in their descriptions.

The ideal search set up would be to set parameters to include/exclude TITLE/DESCRIPTION and specific products and sections.

Martin

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I have passed this onto the development team.

Comment

Hi, ok looks like a patch on the pearl script might do what i need.
                  I can put an 'x' in the product referance to exclude it from a search.
                  Any idea as to what I would do with the pearl script.
                  I know some html ok but havent been playing about with the peral files yet.

any help is great please.
                  thansk
                  wesley
                  Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Hiding search results for items whose product reference ends with x

Edit SearchScript.pl (in Site1 - use a text editor - not a word preocessor - back it up first)

Code:
                    Look for the line

for ($nCount = $nMin; $nCount < $nMax; $nCount++) # process the range of product references in the results set

immdiately after this line add the 2 lines

{					 # norman
                               if ( $$rarrResults[$nCount] !~ /x$/ ) # norman hide products that have reference ending in x

Look for the pair of lines

$sHTML .= ACTINIC::ParseXML($sResultMarkup); # parse the XML
                    		}

immediately after this pair of lines add the single line

}  # norman
                    Note that this will just omit such items from being shown. It won't alter the count or sequence numbers that gets displayed - some sequences will just be omitted.

PS this should work the same in V7 as SearchScript.pl isn't changed too much there.

Comment

Thanks Norman.
                      Easy when you know how.
                      I have amended the script and changed the product ref as you said.
                      All is working much better now.
                      Many thanks
                      Wesley
                      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Omitting products from the search - returns

Hi there,

I was looking to omit some products from the search and see that this was first raised years ago, back in the days of Version 6.

As far as I can see, it hasn't been resolved so I wonder if:
                        a) there is any news on likelihood of an option being added to Actinic to 'Exclude product from Search'. It seems straightforward enough
                        b) it has been resolved, and I don't know how, or
                        c) anyone has an update to the workaround for the latest Perl.

Like many people, I have a list view and a product view, and I don't want the search to take people to the list view.
                        Kind regards,
                        Phil Benjamin

Want to de-stress as you use SellerDeck software?
                        http://www.ursulajamesstore.com

Comment

Working...
                        X