Can two people update the same site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can two people update the same site?

I am about to update to actinic 7 from version 5. I want to have two people at my office to be able to update the site, at the same time if need be, and be able to download orders etc. Is this possible?

I have had conflicting information from different sources that I have asked so far - some have said yes its possible with just one licence, others said I need a second licence and so on.

Any information would be helpful.

You will need the new network version of Actinic to do this. The sales team will help you out with pricing etc.
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Wow this multi-users version looks great !!

In the Minimum system requirement page it's said :
      "Multi-user requires access to a shared database. This database must be located on a shared drive".
      If I understand how it works, when one user changes something from his pc (for example a price), it changes the data in the shared database ?

What about the other files of the shop (images, html pages ...) ? are they also stores in the shared "site1" folder ?

Right now we have a local network with a server running "windows server 2003". We use this network to run Sage 100 (the French version). On this server there's a shared directory (named "Public") that everybody on the network can access. Does it mean that we should be able to run this multi-users version ?

When do you expect to release a demo version ?

Can you give us an idea of the price ?

Many thanks
      User of Actinic since V3 and living on the French riviera

Comment

Jacques,

Thanks for the positive comments. The best way to get more information about Actinic Business Multi-User Version is to email Mark Rice in the Actinic Sales Team.

His email address is mrice [at] actinic.co.uk.

Comment

I have multi-user - suggest caution.

Hi there

We recently upgraded to multi-user and it causes more problems than it solves.
          On paper it's great but we are "waiting for the new release" - apparently which will fix all the annoying things on it like the inability to upload from either machine etc.

Some can't be fixed though.

e.g. While having all documents for digital download and images on one machine, we uploaded from My Documents/Actinic.

In a networked version, obviously PC 2 can't see this so the file has to be copied to C: My Documents/Actinic on both machines before uploading - doubling workload.
          Previes can't be seen on both PCs

There's more.

Get the price make your choice - in hindsight, I wish I had waited for all bugs to be ironed out.

Comment

Hi Phil

Thanks for the feedback about Multi User. The latest release of MU does fix the issues you have raised and as the software is still in beta, we are able to change the software to meet customers requirements.

To be honest, some of these bugs/work arounds have been our own oversights, others have been customers using our software in ways that we never envisaged.

For the most part I have been helping to install the Multi User software and everytime we have been to customer site we have learned something new. It amazes us the work arounds customers and web designers have come up with to take our out of the box product and turn it into a multi-million pound business. We have tried to ensure that the new software works with these work arounds and delivers the promised improvements.

We are close to the final release of MU and will be issuing the new version to all customers. There are some other improvements in the new release that will make life a lot easier for you. The new selective site refresh option that will not upload images and Digital Download files will save a lot of time for all MU customers when upgrading to the full production release.

I hope this explains where we are with the product and as MU has been a selective and controlled roll out, we are able to address these issues individually.

Thanks for bearing with us Phil,
            Mark Rice
            Actinic Sales
            0845 1294800

Comment

Multi-user

Thanks Mark

In hindsight my post is a little harsh.
              What I would say is that without Actinic, I wouldn't be where I am today business wise. I have no doubt that multi-user will get there in the end as have all Actinic products.

My only problem on this occasion is that I got in at the 'bleeding edge' whereas other Actinic purchases have been as the product has bedded in. MU does work - just not quite as well as it will,...soon!

Comment

Hi

A customer of ours is currently running Actinic v5 but is looking create another online shop.

The difference with this 2nd shop is that there will need to be more than one person adding products to the shop, there will be a person in charge of their own department.

These people will need to be able to add/update products on their own machines. Will using the multi licence version allow them to do this? Im guessing it may not let them have 2 people amending at the same time but would it be possible to have one person edit the shop at once from their own machine?

Also have the glitches mentioned above now been ironed out?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi

Actinic Multi User allows one person to log in (as an administrator) and make product changes. Each store can have unlimited number of administrators, however only one can be logged in to make product changes.

They way other companies have gone about getting around this is by giving each person two id's, one an administrator and the second an order processor. This works as when one person wnats to log in and process an order, they can but at the same time another person can login as an administrator and make changes. This works well assuming that the adminstrator logs out when they have finished making changes.

With Actinic Business Multi User any PC which has the software installed and connected to the database can administer the site, so you are not tied to a single point.

Hopefully this is useful information for you, please call or email me if you have any further questions.
                  Mark Rice
                  Actinic Sales
                  0845 1294800

Comment

so, just so that im clear.

say if we had 5 people running the store. We could create 2 profiles, one that allows products to be added/updated and a second that would allow orders to be received then we set these 2 profiles up on each of the 5 peoples machines so that they could all access the 2 profiles but only one person can amend the products at anyone time?

So for example, person 1 would edit items for an hour, then he swould stop, log out and then someone else on a different machine would be able to amend products? Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by web@ack
                      so, just so that im clear.

say if we had 5 people running the store. We could create 2 profiles, one that allows products to be added/updated and a second that would allow orders to be received then we set these 2 profiles up on each of the 5 peoples machines so that they could all access the 2 profiles but only one person can amend the products at anyone time?

So for example, person 1 would edit items for an hour, then he swould stop, log out and then someone else on a different machine would be able to amend products? Is this correct?

Thats correct. What you are doing is creating users and then specifiying there access. In this case you give each user two user names, one for order processing and one for administrating
                      Mark Rice
                      Actinic Sales
                      0845 1294800

Comment

Working...
                      X