Snapshot size decreasing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapshot size decreasing....

Normally I don't bother with processing orders placed on one of our sites on Sunday - the site says that orders will be processed the next business day, but we were expecting 10-20 inches of snow, so I brought the snapshot home - processed a couple of orders this morning, and now I have saved the snapshot out of my home machine, and was about to upload it to the web server ready to re-import it into my work machine on Monday.... its smaller - not a little, but a LOT smaller!

The 2 developers were both 7.0.3.FBIA and US versions, and the snapshot just shrank from 2.38Mb to 1.89Mb - this is a little disconcerting.... is this "normal"?

I'm thinking it's PROBABLY due to the site files not having been generated on this machine... so I'm in the process of doing an upload from this location to see how that affects the snapshot size... if that IS the case, then surely there is every reason for Actinic to EXCLUDE the final site files from snapshots - if they can be re-generated on import to any new install, what's the point in actually backing those up?

Update... site upload just finished - created a NEW snapshot and this seems to have grown by 1kb, but is still 1,894kb instead of the original snapshot I downloaded of 2,383kb - so that's the difference in the two?

Opening up the two snapshots in winrar, I see that there is a CatalogThemes folder missing from the NEW snapshot - why?

This was a snapshot generated from "File | Snapshot | Export" - rather than a "Deploy Site" snapshot - and I was consistent on both machines in the method used to generate/import each snapshot file, so why would one contain the theme, and another not? and... should I be wary about importing my new slimmer snapshot into my office development machine?

regards

Greg
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Snapshots are just zipfiles, so you can make a copy of a snapshot and rename it to .zip and peek inside it with Winzip.

The first thing to check is the file count.

The second thing to check is that the Actiniccatalog.mdb is in there and even when containing the same data may vary greatly in size depending on whether it's recently been compacted or not.

Also if you regularly import / replace things then this file can become H U G E - maybe 20 times it's real size - and slims dramatically when compacted.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

bingo - I bet it's housekeeping and compacted databases - the development machine has a LOT of changes since it's last compaction - in fact... can't remember when I last did one!

Cheers - makes me feel a BIT better... any ideas why one got the Actinic theme and one didn't?
      Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
      Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
      NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

You notice a huge difference after purging deleted products and orders, etc, then compacting the databases. It makes such a differece we do that before very snapshot. Sensible maintenence procedure too.
        Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

CatalogThemes folder missing
          I may be barking up the wrong tree, but there is a bug introduced to 7.02 and not yet fixed.

See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=10066

Comment

Working...
          X