Future Actinic Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Actinic Products

When I was negotiating a discount on Version 7 I was promised all the usual bumpf about free upgrades to the wonderful new future releases just around the corner. I quized the salesman a bit on this, as what I REALLY want is an ecommerce system that runs off a live SQL database rather than a static Access database. 'Nudge nudge, wink wink, yes that is where we are going' said the salesman.

I've no wish to expose trade secrets or promote gossip and rumour, but I would be very interested to know if anyone has heard anything similar to this, or whether the salesman was just spinning me a line. If Actinic was to develop in this direction I would be very happy and much more inclined to spend time and money upgrading and expanding my existing set-up.

Many thanks

Jeremy
    www.magazineexchange.co.uk

I think you should call Actinic sales to ask - you don't say if the person you talked to was from Actinc. That way if you are being spun a line to would have redress in the future

Comment

It was Actinic I was speaking to, but the comment was clearly 'off the record'. I was interested to know if anyone else had heard something similar

Thanks

Jeremy

Comment

All I know is that a V8 will be taking us in a new direction. Exactly what that entails we don't know.
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Here's my somewhat intemperate post from exactly 2 years ago.
          The original release of the Unix kernel - 60Kb - data space needed 30Kb

Actinic Perl scripts (compressed) - 681Kb - data space needed 12Mb

As someone who pokes around in that Perl it's little wonder that users are reporting script timeouts. There's a HUGE amount of processing going on. It's just too easy to write something like $sHTML~=s/\n/<br>/g; Wow only 20 bytes of code but it's asking for a global search and replace on a page that could be hundreds of K of text. Stick in a dozen or two such lines and no wonder it's ka-boom.

Time for V7 to move to PHP / mySQL perhaps? It would certainly make on-line stock control feasible.
          This was in a thread regarding performance issues. Luckily the Perl has only grown marginally since then and processor speeds and resources increase upwards as per Moores law.

To be fair to Actinic:- Perl is a near universal solution, allowing Actinic to run on nearly every server in the world. Also it has the benefit of being a mature solution with very few bugs and also allows fast fixes and user modifications.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
          X