SMTP/POP3 usersname & passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP/POP3 usersname & passwords

We use a web site provider who does not provide email. We therefore would like to use one of our other ISPs to send & receive emails, but can not do so.

To avoid spammers logging in and using their POP3/SMTP servers, they require us to log in to these servers with a user name and password. Catalog will not allow the use of a username and password for sending emails, therefore we can not use any of the email provisions.

Has anyone got a work-around?

We use a web site provider who does not provide email.
    If they provide NO e-mail facilities then you're stuck as Actinic doesn't support Authenticated SMTP servers which is what you'd need if you try to use a third parties SMTP server to send mail.

Ask your hosting provifer if they support Sendmail (or an alternative sendmail like mailer), and if their Perl installation has the Mail::Mailer module installed. If so I have a patch to Actinic.pm that allows this to be used instead of SMTP.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

They have JMail - would that work?

I'm getting a little out of my depth here - I've never needed to play with this kind of things.

Mark

Comment

I've no idea what JMail is. Can someone elucidate?

Norman

Comment

I thought JMail was a java mailserver?

Comment

I'm still not sure about JMail.

You'll have to ask your hosting provider if their Perl supports the Mail::Mailer module. Best to find someone competent there to ask.
            While you're talking to them ask them how a Perl script can send an e-mail. The answer to that will help a lot.

Norman.

Comment

I think that JMail is a webmail facility for Windows machines.

Comment

Working...
              X