ok answer this one on editing the html

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok answer this one on editing the html

Got a site working away fine but wanted to edit some of the html.

All I want to do is create an external link in the product description.

So I edit the html file and do an upload, the edit I done dissapears.

So I edit the html file on the server, refresh and the link is there. Do an upload and it dissapears.

What is happening ?

you are probably editing the wrong template.

What file are you editing? which folder is the file in?

you should be editing a file that starts with ACT_ which you will find in site1. You should not be editing anything in SiteHTML folder or Preview folder as these will be overwritten.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
      you are probably editing the wrong template.

What file are you editing? which folder is the file in?

you should be editing a file that starts with ACT_ which you will find in site1. You should not be editing anything in SiteHTML folder or Preview folder as these will be overwritten.
      damn thats what it is !

ok how do I find the ACT_ file then for the file I am wanting to edit ?

cheers

Comment

The template depends on what you are trying to acheive - if it is a link in every product edit the Act_ProductLine .. if you only want the link to appear in a few of the product descriptions you could enter the HTML into the product description box and use !!< >!! to surround the HTML

eg

!!<<a href="www.mydomain.com">my link</a>>!!

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
          The template depends on what you are trying to acheive - if it is a link in every product edit the Act_ProductLine .. if you only want the link to appear in a few of the product descriptions you could enter the HTML into the product description box and use !!< >!! to surround the HTML

eg

ahh its as simple as that ?!?

so lets say I want to add a link to update the firmware for a drive, I would just add the above code into the product description within acintic and it will add that html in ?

cheers

Comment

Maybe use this instead if you want to open a new window and keep your site live.

!!<<a href="www.mydomain.com" target="_blank">my link</a>>!!
            Owner of a broken heart

Comment

cool

so can you put any html code in you like as long as you add the !!< >!! around it ?

Comment

Yes. It's in the help. Look for Embedding HTML.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Sorry to push in on this thread - I've been trying to do this as well. I've added the code that Gary suggested - it works but the link that is being created takes you to a page like this: http://www.theperfectpad.co.uk/links...sgardens.co.uk

........which obviously doesn't exist. Do I need to add/remove a bit of code so that the link becomes external to my website?

This is for a links page which I am setting up using fragments.

Nick
                  Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Nick

what code did you use to get the above result?

Comment

If you're talking about embedded HTML in the product description then, as Gary says,

!!<<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk" target="_blank">BBC news</a>>!!

will be all you need. I amended Gary's example to point to a real site so you can test it as-is.
                      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I must be doing something fundamentally wrong!
                        I've put the offending page online with the (unedited) code that Norman sent - click on the link below and you'll see my problem.

http://www.theperfectpad.co.uk/acatalog/Links.html

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

your link is set up to look just for news.bbc.co.uk - so it is trying to find that page on your website - you need to add in the http://www part as well so the browser knows to look up another website

Bikster

Comment

although if you are actually trying to link to the bbc.news.co.uk website it does not have the www in front of it but just http://news.bbc.co.uk

Bikster

Comment

thanks very much Jont, Jo & Norman - all sorted now.
                              Living and learning!

Comment

Working...
                              X