Shipping costs going funny? Free ship problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping costs going funny? Free ship problem

I have just finished a new site, and I seem to have got the shipping muddled up, and don't know what I'm doing wrong...
    I have three shipping zones: UK, EU, rest of the world. UK was set to blank for First Class post, with tariffs for Special Delivery filled in.
    I want free shipping to UK unless they specify Special Delivery, the rest are on two tariffs for Airmail, with an upper limit set.

While testing, I kept getting what appeared to be a "left-over" from the previous test - ie airmail shipping to London - so I deleted cookies and started again. I then asked for comments from the board and one of the testers got charged shipping.

I have now set First Class to 0.01p up to 10kg, and now I get the right shipping method, so something is working. Is free shipping not possible? If it is, how do I do it?

site is at www.treatmentgels.co.uk

anf
    Anf
    New Year - new YOU!
    (remove that cellulite before the summer comes - www.treatmentgels.co.uk)

The plot thickens. I set the First Class postage to 0.01p for 10kg. If I buy 2 items (weighing 100gms each and in the system as 0.1kg) I get charged 0.02p. Surely this means the system thinks I have 2x up to 10kg orders? I thought the weights got added together?

Help... I would like to go live...

Anf
    Anf
    New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Have you got VAT added to the shipping charges as this may be forcing the rounding up to £0.02

For the free shipping why not set the cost to £0.00

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi Jont, I've just set the shipping to 0.00 as you suggest, updated site and tried again - it is now charging me the OLD (genuine) First Class postage costs for the item! Obviously picking up something from somewhere... I'm now confused.
        ps I have to have VAT added to shipping for Europe, so it has to be ticked.

Anf
        Anf
        New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Hi Anthea,

It possible it might be some of the .cat files are no being updated with the new value, therefore the charging is incorrect. Please try the following, go to "Help | Troubleshooting" and then click on "Web Site Purge and Refresh". Here simply tick "Delete .cat and .fil files", so click on "Delete and Refresh".

Once it has been uploaded, simply try again to purchase the item.

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

I will do as you suggest (a good purge is no bad thing!) but I have solved the root of the problem. (see thread - Warning. Bug in Shipping?) I reckon there is a bug in 7.0.3 (and have told support, who were trying to solve the mess). I looked in the shipping tables and found zone 79 (UK) was in BOTH United Kingdom & Worldwide zones. As this should not be possible, but I didn't get the warning, I have reported it. The knock-on effect of this duplication was widespread. Got rid of the duplicate and everything now seems to be working fine...

Fingers crossed, Anf
            Anf
            New Year - new YOU!

Comment

In the big picture, our client wants to have free shipping for a period of time here after Thanksgiving. The trick is, we're using UPS OnLine Tools to calculate shipping charges. Is it possible to disable the shipping charges for a single class of shipping?

I'm looking at the 'Online Error Handling' section of the 'Service Providers' tab, and it looks like I might be able to set shipping prices manually. Of course, that would mean figuring out what the rates are. Does anyone know of a better solution?
              Matthew Cowgur
              DARMEDIA, Inc.

Comment

Honestly, cannot suggest a work around. Shipping is a global variable and at the moment cannot be switched of selectively. I am not too sure if the workaround you mention will work as UPS goes online to the UPS website to generate shipping charges.

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                X