Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search tool problem/query

Hi all

I have a question about the search facility in v6. I sell wine - for the sake of simplicity let's suppose the words that will be searched for are "merlot" and "chardonnay".

When you go to the catalogue on my site, there is a search box into which the user can type text, and a "Go!" button next to it. Nice and simple. If the user types "merlot" and hits go then they get all the entries with "merlot" in them. However what they also get is another search box, wider this time, with radio buttons to select so that a subsequent search with multiple words can be effected searching for all or any of the new text words typed. There is also a price band option. This is not available on the main website, only the simple textbox +Go! button.

It seems that the simple search option from the catalogue appears to only find results when ALL the words typed are present.

My concern about this is that I know from logfiles that people are searching for multiple words, in this example it might be "merlot chardonnay" which will produce no results because no wine is both merlot AND chardonnay. What I would like is for it to default to the "any words" option and not the "all words" option, so the listing that would be produced would be the superset of entries with "merlot" or "chardonnay" in the product entry.

Currently searching for "merlo chardonnay" produces no results from the catalogue pages.

Can this default be changed?

Regards

Nick
    Fighting with sellerdeck on http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk

See pages 55 - 59 of the Advanced Users Guide downloadable from the Actinic Support page here http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/downloads.htm
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I find this bit of the Advanced Guide very difficult to understand. I think it is more to do with searching on custom properties than on simple keywords (but I might be wrong). I hadn't realised the simple keyword search automatically uses AND. Does anyone know of a way to change this to OR, as I realise I will have similar problems to Nick.

Nick, I can answer one part of your question. Once you complete the simple search, the search results page automatically shows the full search option at the end of the results as you describe. This can easily be removed within Act_ResultsTemplate, by commenting out the line NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHBLOCK.

ie <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:SEARCHBLOCK -->

Unfortunately the version of the simple search shown in this block actually allows you to choose All or Any which is what we both want to be able to do!

Regards,
      Susan.
      Susan.

www.CardsAtYourFingertips.co.uk
      Innovative and Original greetings cards for all occasions

Comment

If you now upload this catalog (or go to 'Advanced | Generate Web Site') it will generate an HTML
        file called 'search.html' and a file called 'customsearch.fil' which you will find in your Site1 (or
        equivalent) directory. These are the files that you will need to customise.
        Finally, go to 'Search Settings | Options' and un-check where it says 'Catalog Maintains Search
        Page'. This will mean that Actinic will no longer create any more search page HTML or a
        customsearch.fil file; even if you make a change to the search settings in the application. You are
        now able to customise these files to your exact specifications
        This last sentence is the one that gets my attention.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your input. Like Susan, I found this part of the user guide tough going - in my case to the point of being impenetrable, and it didn't really help me in what I'm looking to do, which is really rather simple, I feel.

I'm actually very happy with the general way it works, except that I'd like it to do an OR initial search rather than an AND one. The results page and the otions it offers are fine and I don't want to change that.

Gotta be a simple solution somewhere...

Nick
          Fighting with sellerdeck on http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk

Comment

Edit Act_SimpleSearch.html and replace the line
            Code:
                    <input type=HIDDEN name="PR" value="-1"> <input type=HIDDEN name="TB" value="A">
            with
            Code:
                    <input type=HIDDEN name="PR" value="-1"> <input type=HIDDEN name="TB" value="O">
            (a one character change) and the simple search now uses an OR function.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman, you are a star

Thanks,
              Susan.
              Susan.

www.CardsAtYourFingertips.co.uk
              Innovative and Original greetings cards for all occasions

Comment

works fine - thanks

Nick