Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very regular problems reported with Firefox

Hello all,

Oh dear. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And I had to go and upgrade to V7 thinking it would be way more browser friendly than me old V5 which actually was working quite reliably by the time they moved on to 6... :-p

It's now become a two or three times a DAY occurance that I'm having customers leaving comments like this;

"Doesn't work properly with Firefox"

"It's a nuisance that your ordering process doesn't work work with Firefox - nothing gets transferred to the basket"

"Shopping basket does not seem to work on Firefox browser"

"Doesn't work correctly in Firefox/Mozilla"

"Doesn't support Firefox. The Shopping Basket goes round in circles"

"Does your site work with AOL? I have switched to internet explorer to work"
    (ok, i just copied the last one in because it's just one more problem with browsers then... Ho hum)

These are the people who were patient enough to change browsers and order, and leave these comments. How many just left the site?

This is pretty grim reading.

I haven't seen any cart difficulties commented on for MONTHS, right up until V7 upgrade time there.

I've searched for other threads involving Firefox and I find mostly people testing sites successfully with their FF browser. Well that's great, but as you can see from this totally real-world situation above, CUSTOMERS clearly aren't managing.

Is there anything I can do to avoid giving people a reason not to buy from us? (other than bolting a "please be aware the site might not work with FF" warning to the cart pages)

I'm sure some of you must be seeing the same thing from your own clients - any ideas how it can be smoothed for them? Anything within my control that I can change?

John

I can only assume that you have made some changes to catalog that now causes it not to work so well with FF.

Personally I haven't had any issues, but when I am designing I ensure both FF and IE compliancy.

I can only assume your site hasn't upgraded very well so it may be a case of changing themes and then rebuilding your custom design

Comment

Do you want to post a link so that people can have a look and maybe come up with something?

Jo

Comment

By all means;

http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/telecoms.html

Any thoughts on what might be angering FF appreciated!

Thanks folks

John

Comment

Hmmmm - managed to add to basket OK in Firefox then went to view and it shows as empty.

Using IE I could add to the cart and proceeded to checkout - got lots of error messages regarding unsecure / secure items and the payment page does not show any form of security on there at all!!!!!

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Same here with IE. You appear to have checkout on https but there's seems to be a cookie or something being blocked. (cl_logobutton1.jpg ?)

Have you published a Privacy Policy? That's what IE seems to be complaining about (as well as the mix of secure/insecure items).

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I tried with IE as well and it appears to be fine. I did notice however that there is a re-direct to the cart page. This could make some browsers complain.
              http://www.TheLondonPoject.ca
              Located at Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Hi there

Continuing on what Mike has written:
                Have you published a Privacy Policy?
                To publish a privacy policy, simply go to "View | Business Settings | Terms and Condition | Privacy Policy" and click on "Select". Now select "Basic", "Apply" and "OK".

Update your site and test out.

Kind Regards
                Nadeem Rasool
                SellerDeck Development

Comment

Nadeem,

What exactly does actinic do with the p3p data?

When I try and check my website there's no indication of a privacy policy (such as a /w3c/p3p.xml file). Does it just send the p3p policy as cookie headers or does it do something else?

Mike

Comment

Mike

It's just a compact policy that is created and not a full policy. So it just tells the browser why a cookie is being used but not anything else.
                    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

That's what I suspected. The reason i wanted to know was that it makes it hard to check if the compact p3p exists when people are having problems. I kind of suspect that the cart problems some people are having could be down to the cookie being rejected by the browser/PC firewall for privacy reasons.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for those replies, I've made a few changes based on those.

The errant HTTP reference for an image has been corrected to be a relative URL, so it stays the same as the rest of the page now as regards HTTP or HTTPS.

Also, for some unknown reason I had the Cart URL and CGI-BIN URL set to http://clarity.it... instead of http://www.clarity.it...

I believe that was the cause of the cart contents being lost when viewing basket or checking out - I see in Firefox (and presumably most browsers these days) that you can allow cookies "for the originating web site only". Firefox DID work for me here, UNTIL I checked that box, then I was able to replicate the "emptying cart" problem.

Immediately I changed those two URL's to the expected http://www.clarity.it... the cart contents are no longer being lost for me on my FF test machine.

As for P3P - I've followed Nadeem's instructions and published a basic policy. I must hold my hand up and confess I've never encountered P3P until this. Shame on me for not keeping up... So I'm currently looking into the guts of P3P policy creation so a proper one can be published in due course.

Oh and Safari users have also been grumbling this week. :-p

We'll see how it goes now with those changes. As always if anyone's got anything else they think I need to change in the way the cart works, please do let me know.

Thanks very much to everybody who tested and posted their ideas there. Definitely helped a LOT. :-)

John

Comment

Hi, me again.

I don't get this at all.

This was working yesterday when I last posted. The cart worked. Now it doesn't again.

On clicking a Buy button, the cart displays the contents (and any previous contents) but on clicking to view the cart, it's empty!

I didn't change anything between then and now, yet here it is, not working again.

Any ideas? If I'm getting this so are others. :-(

John

Comment

As suspected, switching off the "allow cookies for the originating website only" option in Firefox allows it to work. But I don't get why having it switched on is losing the cart cookie. :-(

Comment

Working...
                            X