X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smtp problem

Hi,
    I have an smtp problem. When I test settings in Network Settings I fail on

“The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.”

“Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server: passed
    connection: passed
    sockets: passed
    communications: failed
    authorisation: failed

I know the smtp server works because I can send through Outlook with the same settings. I’ve checked through the faq’s for smtp, etc. and all I can find is Actinic uses port 25. I’ve even turned my firewall off!!
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,

Who are you hosting with. There are known solutions for several hosts - each different.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

The only thing I can think to check is that you're using the smtp settings for your server host and not those of your isp.

Because of the way actinic sends email, the problem is not going to be at the PC end, but at the server.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I tried setting the smtp to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk (my ISP) and received this error:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
        authorisation: passed
        message: 5.7.1 Unable to relay for katrineelliott@changingleopards.co.uk

I then though this was happening because Actinic was sending mails from my server, so I set-up smtp on my server and tried that (fail details in first post).
        Do they emails post locally or from the server?
        Thanks for all help given,
        Ryan

Comment

Actinic sends emails from your server. Even the ones from the software on your PC are 'posted' to Actinic on the server where they're then sent from.

What error message do you get when you set the smtp settings to be those of your server? (edit: just saw that those are the first error messages).

It sounds like your username for smtp isn't correct. try checking that and trying again.

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
            I know the smtp on the server is ok, I've checked it with Outlook and it sends with no problems.
            Thanks for your help.

Comment

Well if you're sure the username/password are correct then the only other thing to try is using 'localhost' for the name with authentication turned off.

Who are you hosting with? This was asked before but there didn't seem to be any answer.

Mike

Comment

Sorry, I have my own servers with EV1.
                I've tried sending through the IP as well as the mail record, which didn't work either.

I've just tried you Localhost idea and...
                communications: passed
                authorisation: passed

What are the implications of using Localhost?
                Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

I've successfully relayed through my server to blueyonder, so it's not a relay problem.

Comment

What are the implications of using Localhost?
                    None really, smtp servers are usually set up to make sure they're not open to spammers and often do this in two ways; one, require a username and password (smtp authentication) and two, configure 'localhost' so locally hosted programs can use it (often without requiring authenticated smtp).

Mike

Comment

We are also having this same issue:

authorisation: failed

We are running win2003 and MailEnable. I have disabled mailgate on the cisco firewall which can cause this problem but still the issue remains ONLY with actinic. All other mail apps work fine using the authentication. If I uncheck the Username and PAssword required and set the mailserver to the server IP is will send out a mail to a local address only. It will not send out receipts etc. Anyone any further ideas to try and sort this?

cheers

Simon
                      Orbit Internet

Comment

Hi Simon

Is this just happening with Windows 2003? Or does this happen with all your platforms. Most of the hosting company who support Actinic just put in for the smtp server
                        "mail.domain.co.uk" with the username and password ticked. I'm not sure why it is not working for you. Are you using SSL for your mail?

Kind Regards
                        Nadeem Rasool
                        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi Nadeem,

Its only happening on this one server which happens to be a 2003 server. We have several 2000 servers using Merak as the mailserver all working fine. I have double checked everything this morning and it still remains that the only thing not to work correctly when using mail is Actinic. I have tried all the various ways of SMTP server to no avail, usually we would simply use mail.domainname.co.uk.

regards

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon

I haven't had much experience with Merak, we have tested only with Windows own mail server inhouse. So I'm afraid i really don't know what to suggest.
                            If there is any other hosting clients then please feel free to comment to this thread.

Kind Regards
                            Nadeem Rasool
                            SellerDeck Development

Comment

Seems i'm having the same problem, so is there no way of solving this? My hosting plan is also on a windows 2003 server platform
                              http://www.ukdesignermenswear.com

Top designer brands at discounted prices, coming soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X