Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with SENDMAIL

Hi I am having problems with SMTP and SENDMAIL

My SENDMAIL program is located at usr/sbin/sendmail - where do I add this parameter in Actinic. Do I replace the variable 'my $mailer' in the script by Norman Routledge on Actinic's site to equal usr/sbin/sendmail ??

Mail::Mailer is not installed on my site, but they say I can install it myself, is it available anywhere for download so I can use it on my site.

As it stands, it doesn't look like my ISP is going to let me use Port25

Any suggestions anyone ??

TIA, Simon

I think it would make sense to pinpoint the problem and then try and identify a solution rather than just guessing at possible workarounds.

Who is your host and what do they say about sending email? Most hosts will allow you pick up and send email one way or another.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

My host is supanames and they offer a SENDMAIL program at usr/sbin/sendmail. They do not allow use of Port 25. They say...
      "
      Dear Simon,
      Thank you for your patience with this matter.
      I can confirm that on ValueHost account the Mail module is not installed within the 'site-perl' but customers can place it in their personal cgi-bin directory or below.
      However for serious use of the Actinic software we would recommend the extra processing power available on a Mid or Premier account (on Premier accoutns Perl modules can be installed upon request).
      "

Naturally, they're just trying to get me to upgrade my account, which I don't want to do...

Comment

Hi All

I've uploaded the site and whole bloody thing works perfectly, I just don't understand it.

When I run a Network Test I get these messages

The Network Test was unable to verify that the mail (SMTP) server you specified is valid (the name lookup failed). The mail server name may be correct. If it is (and your email address is correct), you will receive an email soon after this test has completed. This error can occur if the mail server you specified is incorrect, or if your PC network is not properly configured (for more information, see "DNS" in Windows help). If this problem is due to improper network configuration, you may not be able to place orders from this computer using the built in Actinic encryption method for credit card details.

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

The email confirming my trial order contains the text..

Received: from shop.actinic.com (cobalt055.fm.netbenefit.co.uk [212.53.85.118])

..in the header, and not the smtp server I entered in Network Setup.

So I am confused, is there something proprietary going on here ???

Comment

Looks like you're right. Supanames will only give access to SMTP if you're using one of their dial-up connections.

You could always try the following as they might work:

1. localhost

2. smtp.supanetworks.co.uk

3. as 2. above with username = supanames & password = supanames

failing that you'll have to get the sendmail patch working. It's a while since I looked at that so someone else will have to help you there.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks, I've figured out how to get the SENDMAIL working, just need to find and download Mail::Mailer perl

Comment

Did you try using cobalt055.fm.netbenefit.co.uk as your smtp server ?
              Just curious because its similar to the smtp I use with my host.

Mick
              Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X