Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden sections

Hi,

I am rather new to Actinic and have what I hope will be an easy question.

I have a number of sections on my site, some of which are hidden (rather crudely with 1x1 pixel gifs). I am using these sections in an affiliate programme and don't want them seen when visitors come to the page by another route.

1. Is there a more efficient way of hiding these product sections other than the 1x1 pixel gifs?

2. How do I exclude these sections from a drop down menu of shop sections?

cheers

Please?

Double click the section to view the section properties - click the "general" tab - near the bottom is a checkbox - "Hide on web site" - if checked, it will not be visible, and will not be searchable.
    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

but the url will still exist???

cool !

Comment

yes I think so - it would not be loaded if it was marked deleted, but should be otherwise.
        Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
        Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
        NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Tried this and the pages disappear...

Any more ideas?

Comment

OK so I've solved the first question.

1. I have created a section layout with no images (too easy)..

2. But I still can find our how to exclude sections from the drop down search list.

HELP !

Comment

Page 61 in the Advanced Users Guide shows how to bounce unregistered users out of a section - would that be of any use (assuming you don't have registered customers)

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I actually want to hide the sections completely unless you know the URL to enter it/have come via a specified link on another site.

I have poured over the advance users guide and can;t find anything in there.
                Last edited by please?; 10-May-2005, 02:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'd be very interested in any solutions to this too.
                  Creating sections without images isn't the issue (I've used the 1x1 approach before too!) it's having them not appear in drop-downs etc that is the problem.
                  And, as you found out, if you tick "hide on website" it hides the section AND it's contents meaning that you cannot view the section contents/products at all.
                  Does anyone from Actinic know if this is possible? It's actually a question I was going to post myself!
                  Tracey
                  Tracey

Comment

One workaround may be to preview the site with the included hidden sections and then mark them as "hide on site" - then use the pages generated in the preview folder and upload to the website and include them in Actinic with "other files to upload" - this would then prevent them appearing on the menu lists and you can still access them by entering the URL directly into the browser - use a random page name and bookmark the page for extra security (assuming the page is just for your own use)

Bikster

Comment

I would think you could upload the whole site with *nothing* hidden, then mark the items you want "Hide on Web site" and upload again. That should work.
                      Bill
                      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

That tends to delete the recently hidden pages from the site as well as removing them from the navigation

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                          That tends to delete the recently hidden pages from the site as well as removing them from the navigation
                          Yes, it does. If you hide a section from the website, it's contents are then removed online too.
                          It would be handy (for various reasons) to be able to hide a section but still link to it's contents.. something for the wishlist? (will post it there if I ever get chance!)
                          Tracey
                          Tracey

Comment

Tracey - are you wanting others to be able to see the "hidden pages" or just you? If it is just you for tracking purposes for example then my previous post above should work - if it is just for registered people then you can add a manual link and bump people out if they are not registered

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                              One workaround may be to preview the site with the included hidden sections and then mark them as "hide on site" - then use the pages generated in the preview folder and upload to the website and include them in Actinic with "other files to upload" - this would then prevent them appearing on the menu lists and you can still access them by entering the URL directly into the browser - use a random page name and bookmark the page for extra security (assuming the page is just for your own use)

Hiya,
                              This does not seem to work as the hidden page does appear - but you cannot order from it. I too am trying to put up a product for ordering (for affiliates) that cannot be found directly from the navigation system.
                              I am a bit surprised that such a simple task as this cannot be achieved with the software.
                              http://www.consultancymarketing.co.uk & http://www.website-packages.com

Comment

Working...
                              X