Error Occurred while sending merge request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error Occurred while sending merge request

My customers ISP has introduced Email authentication and so prevented the catalog (V6.1.5) from sending Emails.

I've tried using the patch for Actinic.pm "V6(V5)-UsingSendMailInsteadoOfSMTP.txt" downloaded from another forum thread and now I'm getting the message "Error Occurred while sending merge request" when I try to update or refresh the site.

I've deleted the *.fil and *.cat files (server and client as proposed by one forum thread) and updated and refreshed the site and still get the error message.

If I replace the patched Actinic.pm file with the original and carry out an update website I don't get the error message!

You comments would be appreciated.

Andrew

the patch for Actinic.pm "V6(V5)-UsingSendMailInsteadoOfSMTP.txt"
    I assume you are saying that your application of this patch has caused the problem. Therefore you will need to tell us what you did

Comment

Hi Jo,

I edited the Actinic.pm file using notepad as a text editor in accordance with the instructions in the patch (attached), adding and replacing certain lines of code, to enable Actinic to use the Mailer software on the hosting company server rather than using the ISP Email Server.

I then deleted all the actinic files on the web server and carried out a refresh and got the error message "Error Occurred while sending merge request"

I looked up the the error message on the actinic forum and it was recommended to deleted the *.fil and *.cat files (server and client)

I've deleted the *.fil and *.cat files (server and client as proposed by one forum thread) and I then deleted all the actinic files on the web server and carried out a refresh and got the error message "Error Occurred while sending merge request"

If I replace the patched Actinic.pm file with the original and carry out an update website I don't get the error message!

When I replace the original file with the patched one and carry out an update I get the error message.

Spooky.

Any Ideas?

Regards
      Attached Files
      Andrew

Comment

I wrote that. It's from the donationware page - www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff

Either you host doesn't have the Mail::Mailer module available or you've patched it wrong.

Here's how to find out:

backup what you've done first.

The edit the patched Actinic.pm and delete the single line of code
        Code:
        	use Mail::Mailer;
        and the lump
        Code:
        	# (V11) use systems sendmail program
        	my $mailer = Mail::Mailer->new();
        	$mailer->open({ From    => $sReturnAddress,
         	                To      => $sEmailAddress,
                                Subject => $sSubjectText,
                              })
                                     or die "Can't open: $!\n";

print $mailer $sMessageText;
                $mailer->close();
        This removes any refrence to Mail::Mailer and the code will appear to work but silently skip sending the e-mail.

Now do an update and see if the site still works or fails with an error message.

If it still fails you've mispatched Actinic.pm by misunderstanding the instructions and should look to fixing that.

If it now works then it looks like your host doesn't support the Perl Mail::Mailer module so you're stuck. You can confirm this by putting the single "use Mail::Mailer;" line back in and if the site now fails that's the confirmation.

There are other posts that modify this patch to directly call SendMail instead of via Mail::Mailer but they're site specific and require a bit of Unix skill to implement. Basically you leave that first line above out and replace the bigger lump of code above with a call to SendMail.

A bit of searching should locate them.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Success

Thanks for the reply Norman, having searched for "Sendmail" rather than "merge error" I see that you have responded to queries like mine on a regular basis.

I used "phpinfo.php" on my site to discover that my host uses sendmail not Mailer.

I found a posting "PC based local mail" which addresses this issue and I have now modified Actinic.pm in line with the recommendations there and its working well on my test site.

I just need to try it on the live one.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

Regards
          Andrew

Comment

similar problem with actinic.pm

The merge error also occured for me after having modified this file (specifically the code regarding the generation of the html table which contains error messages related to unfilled required form fields). After restoring the an original version of actinic.pm, the merge problem disappeared. My conclusion is that WHATEVER modification to this file will cause a merge error. WTF?

Comment

don't bother

Comment

Working...
              X