Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ole shipping side of things...

Hello all,

Well, the site is almost there - however as a last minute request before the site goes live (clients - we do love them!) they would like to have a special offer where the customer will get free shipping if they order a new product item. Currently there are 2 levels of shipping:

1 item - £4.95 standard shipping cost
    2 items or more - £5.95 standard shipping.

this has been set up and works absolutely fine, however I'm stumped about how to negate the shipping costs if they order this item!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

The most flexible way to do shipping is by weight. To do what you want:

- Change shipping to be by weight.
    - set a default weight of 0.2 kg or whatever
    - set the free delivery item(s) to 0.0 kg
    - set the tables so that:
    up to 0.1 kg is free
    0.1 to 0.3 kg is shipping charge 1
    anything over is shipping charge 2

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Sounds good Mike,

However I'm not sure that would work - the shipping cost should be free for the entire order if a specific item is purchased, otherwise normal charges apply. I had thought it would probably involve using weights for this bit but it's the logic of it I cannot visualise right now. Course, the easiest way to do it would have been to set up a discount group, but I cannot because of the 2-tier shipping!

Comment

To do what you want and get all items shipped free if the special is ordered, weight must be used as Mike says.
        Set a default weight for all items of 0.5kg and set the weight for the special at 5000kg. In your shipping cost tables, set cost levels of 0.5kg at 4.95, 1kg at 5.95 and 5000kg at 0.00. Set excess weight as allowed at a cost of 0.00. Now when they order the special, alone or in combination, it will be in the 0.00 cost band.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
          To do what you want and get all items shipped free if the special is ordered, weight must be used as Mike says.
          Set a default weight for all items of 0.5kg and set the weight for the special at 5000kg. In your shipping cost tables, set cost levels of 0.5kg at 4.95, 1kg at 5.95 and 5000kg at 0.00. Set excess weight as allowed at a cost of 0.00. Now when they order the special, alone or in combination, it will be in the 0.00 cost band.
          Many thanks, William - seems to have worked a treat! Thanks also to you Mik for the initial pointers. Hopefully that should be the last of the queries... until the next site!

Once again thanks to you both :-)

Comment

Hmmm...

Me again...

Well I thought that was it sorted.... however, adding 1 item in the basket gives 4.95 as expected, adding 2 in gives 5.95 - occasionally? Any more than that (without special) and there is zero shipping cost!!

Sorry to be a pain!

Well i have a workaround.... seems the problem is that I need to populate more .5kg increments at £5.95. Also William, on re-reading your post, you mention setting the excess value to 0, which you cannot do? I hadn't actually done that bit!
            Last edited by Big Daftie; 17-May-2005, 09:25 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Williams advice above fell foul of Actinics slightly weird way of specifying shipping tables.

Actinic's tables are for weights up to the weight shown. So once a weight of 1KG has been met or exceeded it jumps to the next level which is the free shipping.

So, if I can get this right,

1Kg should be £4.95
              4999 KG should be £5.95
              Anything above should be free (if shipping band not defined use default value =0)

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
                Williams advice above fell foul of Actinics slightly weird way of specifying shipping tables.

Actinic's tables are for weights up to the weight shown. So once a weight of 1KG has been met or exceeded it jumps to the next level which is the free shipping.

So, if I can get this right,

1Kg should be £4.95
                4999 KG should be £5.95
                Anything above should be free (if shipping band not defined use default value =0)

Mike
                Almost!

0.5kg (1 item) should be £4.95
                1kg > (more than 1) should be £5.95
                5000kg > (includes free shipping item) should be free.

It almost works, as i said I've managed to get by populating extra increments up to 8kg at £5.95. I think really now I'm more curious if there's a more elegant way of doing it, as there is a danger someone goes on a mad spending spree and rolls over into the free shipping category!

Comment

Mike,

I just reread your post.... D'oh! 4999kg!

I think I'm working too late, off to try that and see how I get on. Thanks for that!

Comment

Actinic shipping tables always confuse me so it's just as well you only have to do it once.

Actinic values set the upper limit for the shipping band, so this should work:

0.99Kg = £4.95
                    4999KG = £5.95

Anything not covered by these bands should be charged at the default rate of £0.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X