should stock warning/suspend be 1 or 0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should stock warning/suspend be 1 or 0

I have a site that is selling one offs. Once a customer buys the one and only I want to suspend ordering.

I have set max order quantity to 1 and stock monitoring to on and stock level to 1.

What should the stock warning and stock suspend ordering be set to?

I think its 1 but i have been told it should be zero (I think that will allow 2 to be purchased).

Can anyone with experience of this advise?

If it's 0, it'll use your default value, which is in 'Business Settings | Options tab'. In your case, this seems to be 2. You probably want to set this to 1.

Set your 'Suspend Orders' level to 1 (or 0 if you have your default to 1) for each product, and when it drops below this, it'll suspend ordering.

Ryan

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought it is at least related. I think I understand that the Actinic stock monitoring isn't "live" but does that mean I have to upload after shipping so that ordering will be suspended. We are currently doing a range of one-offs and low stock items but I don't always remember to delete them after they've been ordered and shipped.

Thanks

Helen

Comment

Hi there,

You're right in saying Actinic's stock control system isn’t real time. This is because the stock levels in the database are held locally rather than on the server.

What you could do is set up Actinic to upload and download say every 10mins using the command lines (see help) and Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel (in XP)

So you can set up a stand alone PC which just constantly uploads and downloads Actinic all day.

I hope this helps.
        Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

As Stock Monitoring is on the client system, not on the web server then, if you have 1 of an item, someone could order it, then 5 minutes later someone else could order it and it would need manual handling - if only to appease the customer.

However, we are finding that if the stock level is 1, Suspend if Below is set to 1, then someone who comes along and orders 2 gets the order accepted.

Is that also a function of the client monitoring the stock? The server having absolutely no knowledge of stock levels?

Comment

Hi Tony,

Actinic's stock monitoring system works off-line. This means that stock levels of your items are altered as orders are downloaded into Actinic or created within Actinic. Stock levels are not altered while customers place orders on the web site. You are right when a customer add two numbers of a product when only one is available in stock,he will be able to complete the order.

This is a feature that is on the wishlist and I will add a vote for you.

Comment

Can you not just set max quantity to one, which means the customer is only able to order one item?

Comment

Originally posted by June
                Can you not just set max quantity to one, which means the customer is only able to order one item?
                Thats the answer to your problem

It may be worth trying the stock control mole from Mole End, this will automatically adjust the max quantity for you

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by sumiya
                  Hi Tony,

Actinic's stock monitoring system works off-line. This means that stock levels of your items are altered as orders are downloaded into Actinic or created within Actinic. Stock levels are not altered while customers place orders on the web site. You are right when a customer add two numbers of a product when only one is available in stock,he will be able to complete the order.

This is a feature that is on the wishlist and I will add a vote for you.

Does this mean that if the catalog and orders are on seperate pc's then the stock levels don't get updated? Surely if I have 10 of an item, it shouldn't let 20 people order it? Or am I totally missing something?
                  Occasionally we get a 'hot' item into stock, and it will literally sell out in half an hour, we would like to ensure that we don't take more orders than we have for that item - I had assumed setting up the stock levels would do this, but it sounds like it doesn't.

Comment

Hi Bev,

You are right. If you split the functionality over two machines, the database on the first machine will not be updated with the stock levels as the orders are downloaded and processed on the second machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X