Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP Authentication

Hi,
    We are running v7 with Verio as our host.
    Whilst in test all went well, so we went into production.
    Ever since then we have been getting "relay not authorized" when we run the test from the Network Setup dialog. Although the orders go all the way through the payment provider [HSBC] and out the other side.

So no emails to the clients, to ourselves, nada!

It seems that Verio have their own approach to SMTP authentication which involves a 'pop-before-smtp'. This does not seem to sit at all well with Actinic's view of SMTP authentication.

I tried Normans 'patch' but apparently it is only for v5 and v6 - can't find one for v7 - does it exist?

Anyone else running v7 with Verio - and if so , what is the secret of your success?

Stephen Thomas [Mosaici] - "Life is too short to waste on weak thermals"

I have a few with Verio. Is yours shared hosting or a VPS server?
    Also what did you put in the SMTP box?
    Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

Comment

If they are using POPb4SMTP then have you tried using localhost as the smtp server address without authentication?

Worth a try as this works a lot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Drumm
        I have a few with Verio. Is yours shared hosting or a VPS server?
        Also what did you put in the SMTP box?
        Shared: Windows 2003 Bronze

I have used:
        Localhost
        www.mydomain.co.uk
        smtp.mydomain.co.uk
        the IP address .. 204.202.236.91

..any other offers?

Comment

No - Local host don't work either!

Originally posted by Support@Techno-
          If they are using POPb4SMTP then have you tried using localhost as the smtp server address without authentication?

Worth a try as this works a lot of the time.
          Still get the same>>
          The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.

...and then a little while later ......

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
          server: passed
          connection: passed
          sockets: passed
          communications: failed
          authorisation: failed

Comment

ahh sorry, did not realize a Win hosting enviro.

apart from the perl method for overcoming it, then the other way if your host can not come up with a solution would be to get a mail package that includes authenticated smtp and assign those settings provided by that supplier into the mix, but unusual that no method works..

Comment

It is possible to send emails when you right click on the order and open order summary then click on send email. That should work even if you are using a windows server. Can you post your network settings remembering to remove your username and password!

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Drumm
                It is possible to send emails when you right click on the order and open order summary then click on send email. That should work even if you are using a windows server. Can you post your network settings remembering to remove your username and password!
                Nope! no luck sending emails from the order summary (I should have mentioned that I had also tried that!)

the atempted email send from the order summary gives us:
                Failed to communicate with the SMTP server.

Possible Cause:
                1. Network transmission problems.
                2. Could have Changed the SMTP Server settings, but not Uploaded after that.

Recommendation:
                1. Retry
                2. Upload the Site First, if you have changed the SMTP Server Settings.

Resolution:
                If retry fails, check your SMTP settings
                or contact your ISP.

The error was:
                58319sales@mosaici.co.ukError returned from SMTP server (1:

Command: send Filename:

Network settings:
                HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                HTTPPROXYUSER
                HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                FTPPROXYMODE 0
                FTPPROXYADDRESS
                FTPPROXYPORT 21
                FTPPROXYUSER
                FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                SCRIPTID 2
                SCRIPTEXT .pl
                SMTPHOST 204.202.236.91
                WEBSITEURL http://www.mosaici.co.uk/
                IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                USEENHANCEFTP false
                FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 5000
                FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                FTPSILENT false
                FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 15000
                SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                SMTPUSERNAME xxxxxxx
                SMTPPASSWORD XXXXXXX
                CATALOGURL http://www.mosaici.co.uk/data/acatalog/
                CGIBINURL http://www.mosaici.co.uk/cgi-bin/
                PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../data/acatalog/
                CODEBASE ./
                FTPHOST www.mosaici.co.uk
                FTPUSERNAME xxxxxx
                FTPPASSWORD xxxxxxxxx
                PATHTOCGIBIN webroot/cgi-bin/
                USEPASSIVEFTP false
                FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Comment

Hot off the Verio help desk >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Verio say:
                  You will need to use an ASP.NET or an ASP mailer. Sendmail is not supported on the windows platform. If you are trying to use Perl scripts you will need change your plan to the Unix platform.

OK - but why did it work before?

Comment

Hmmmm, interesting as Actinic by itself needs perl in every respect, let alone emailing out, but as you say, it worked before!

Comment

Stop Press - now we can use the Windows platform!

Hmmmm, interesting as Actinic by itself needs perl in every respect, let alone emailing out, but as you say, it worked before!
                      Stop Press!! Now Verio have some different advice - how does this sound?

Verio now say ......
                      <snip>
                      Nothing has changed with our windows platforms. For Windows scripting purposes, please use the following as your SMTP server within the Actinic package: mail-fwd .
                      Please note that PERL scripts will work on a Windows server, please disregard the previous reps reference to PERL and UNIX.
                      </snip>

Anyone out there EVER used 'mail-fwd' as an SMTP server name?

Comment

On apache servers you might have something like localhost, localdomain, localdomain.localhost etc etc, i.e. for a script operating on the server, i.e. it is a trusted file and as such can make local calls to these links, which connect to the Mail Transport Agent (MTA) for sending the email out.

On Windows machines (I am no expert on Win's - so no flamming me lol), but I would assume a similar principle can be achieved, whereby for files on the server which are classed as trusted can make requests to connect to this mail-fwd, which in turn connects to the MTA on the windows machine, what ever that might be I would guess.

Did you try it and did it work?

Comment

On apache servers you might have something like localhost, localdomain, localdomain.localhost etc etc, i.e. for a script operating on the server, i.e. it is a trusted file and as such can make local calls to these links, which connect to the Mail Transport Agent (MTA) for sending the email out.

On Windows machines (I am no expert on Win's - so no flamming me lol), but I would assume a similar principle can be achieved, whereby for files on the server which are classed as trusted can make requests to connect to this mail-fwd, which in turn connects to the MTA on the windows machine, what ever that might be I would guess.

OK I'm starting to get the picture now ......
                          I am away from my office right now - I'll get back and try the 'mail-fwd' soonest 24/5/2005.

Comment

smtp.rapidsite.net works for verio windows servers. Verio used to be called Rapidsite just in case you were wondering.

Comment

Yes - and thank you for your imvolvement in our hour of need!

Here's the output from the network Setup test :
                              <snip>
                              The Network Test was unable to verify that the mail (SMTP) server you specified is valid (the name lookup failed). The mail server name

may be correct. If it is (and your email address is correct), you will receive an email soon after this test has completed. This error

can occur if the mail server you specified is incorrect, or if your PC network is not properly configured (for more information, see "DNS"

in Windows help). If this problem is due to improper network configuration, you may not be able to place orders from this computer using

the built in Actinic encryption method for credit card details.

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
                              server: passed
                              connection: passed
                              sockets: passed
                              communications: passed
                              authorisation: passed

Perhaps Actinic could do something about the name lookup failure - since this name is clearly valid?

By the way ..... I thought the Band played better than the Lions last night!

Comment

Working...
                              X