Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating an A-Z (alphabetical) search

Hi there,

I've noticed that a few people have this option so Im sure it must be possible:

Im trying to build an 'a - z' (alphabetical list) across the top of each page so that the customer can click on the letter 'A' and produce a set of all products starting with the letter 'A', click on 'B' and get similar results of all the products starting with 'B', etc.

My initial thought is that I would need to create a CUSTOMVAR which contained the first letter of the product name, ie a product called 'Apple' would have a CustomVAR of 'A', 'ant' would have a CustomVar of 'A', but product 'Beatle' would have a customvar of 'B' and so on.(sorry for labouring a point here!)

So my question is, is there a way of creating a link called 'A' that would display all the products that would have a customVAR of 'A' ? if so could someone post a link to relevant documentation or a solution below...

Or is there an alternative method of producing the results in this way?

Thanks for any help,

Dan

Hi Dan,

CUSTOMVAR's do not quite work that way. Best to think of them as "Insert variable here" - so whenever Actinic see's a CUSTOMVAR in a template it inserts the variable specified either as a global value or against each product - if the CUSTOMVAR is not specified Actinic will ignore it.

Creating alphabetical sections is done by placing all the A's into a section called "A".. all the B's into a section called "B" etc. This can be either the master product or the duplicate. The A-Z tabs across the top are either hard coded into the template or are the section names.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Creatin an alphabetical search

Thanks, jont, thats cleared that up - but made my life a little harder!

Comment

I believe this is doable with a fragment containing calls to the search script with the alphabet letter as the anchor text. I tried it and fell foul of the text join condition. If someone from actinic can supply the missing info - the link will be something like
        <a href="./cgi-bin/ss0000x.pl?=A &NOLOGIN=1>A</a> the space in the middle is where something is needed to specify the join condition.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I went out and tried this by copying the search parameters produced by a real online search and altering the alphabetical part. (BTW my guess was wildly WRONG).

It did not work. I could not get Actinic to return a result until I specified a three letter length search term (example "Anu"). So - we need more flexibility added, please Actinic. (wishlist)
          Bill

Comment

William - cunning idea if you get it to work. Have you looked under the serach settings as I think single letters are set to ignore as default - let us know how you get on

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Jont - I failed miserably. You were almost right about the ignore as default. The lone characters are included in the "do not index" list in View| Search Conditions. But my attempts to force comparison with only the beginning of a word failed. Possibly someone like Norman Rouxel could come out with a modified ss00001 under another name that could be called instead. For now, Perl is well beyond me.
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X