Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customer Name - Maximum Size

Hellooo,

On the checkout page, the max length of the customer name is 40 characters. Apparently this is not enough due to ridiculously long company names....

Am I ok changing this value in the template, or is the max length of 40 also coded elsewhere, such as in the database?

Any help appreciated. I imagine to be safe I would want to change it to 80.

Many Thanks,

Steve

Any ideas anyone? I dont want to change the maxlength of the field in the form without knowing whether the systems will still work or not.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

The 'Name' value in the database is set to a maximum of 40 characters so you better check with Actinic to see if this can be changed.

Dave
      Cheers

David
      Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

I have registered a support query but no response yet. Surely this isn't a complicated question, can anyone from actinic tell me if it is possible or not?

Thanks,

steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

If you register a support query, we will response to your within 2 working days. Also its the same for the forum, if someone has posted a question and you haven't recieved an answer, then we will response after 2 days.

To answer your questions I'm afraid if you are talking about the Customer Name in the "Buyer" tab of the "Customer Account", this is limited by the application, so you cannot change this.

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

Right, thanks for your response.

I simply mean the name field in the online checkout. If this really is hard coded in a number of places, you really need to be 100% sure that no name will ever be longer. 40 characters is not enough.

If I am talking rubbish then someone please say. However I am sure there are a number of businesses with long names.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Ohh i see. Hmm what your had written before changing the maxfield size can be done, there is no restriction on the database, simply the Actinic Dialogs boxes. So this could be done. Having looked in both the [Buyer] table and [Customer] tab the filesize for "sName" is 255.

Kind Regards
              Nadeem Rasool
              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Great, thanks for your help. I will make the change now and let you know if I find any problems anywhere. Hopefully everything will be ok!

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Would it not be the 'Person' database Steve is interested in. The 'Name' field in this database does have a maximum length of 40.

Dave
                  Cheers

David
                  Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Hi Nadeem,

I have made the change, however I now get a name / cardholder must be less than 40 characters long message after submitting the form

>>> Nice and simple... Edited orderscipt.pl . Simply search for 'NAME' => 40, and change the 40 to 80. Seems to be ok now.

>>>>>> But I have just checked the person database too and the maxlength is 40. Is this going to cause a problem??

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

Again this can be changed from the database by extending the value. I'm not sure, but i believe Actinic dialog box in "View | Customer Account | Buyer | Name" may truncate the name. Best to do a database backup just in case.
                      But if you not looking into the customer account, then this should not cause a problem.

Kind Regards
                      Nadeem Rasool
                      SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
                      X