Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evaluating, just a few questions.

Hi there,

I have been practicing with the V.7 25 item evaluation version using the Best Seller theme for the last couple of weeks and on the whole have got on fairly well. Needless to say I have not sorted a host or SSL yet so have not attempted to upload. There are just a couple of points I would like to clear up before I buy the full version and get going properly.

1. I would like links to another site to open in a seperate window and have followed the advice from another thread to change the html. I can only find the corresponding html in site1/previewHTML which I open with notepad. I change the target to (website) " target="_blank as suggested and save, but ech time I preview it, it is changed back to _SELF. Is this just a thing with preview mode?

2. I would like to change the text size and in some cases colour. how is this done.

3. Is it possible to auto generate an e-mail reply when somebody uses the <contact us> mail system.

4. Will the full package arrive with the tax etc. ready configured for UK use and an example site pre-loaded as was the case with the evaluation program?

I'm sure there will be more to come but that will do for now.

Congrats on an exellently run forum, it has already been a great help to someone who very much falls into novice categary.

Thanks,

Graham
    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
    The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Can,t I get some help here please.

Thanks

Graham
    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

1) No idea!

2) I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing this at a site level, but for product descriptions etc if I want to do bold/italics/colours/text size etc I just insert html into the text. The way to do this is by enclosing the html in "!!<" and ">!!". You can test this in your eval copy.

3) You would normally use your e-mail system for auto responding to e-mails, rather than Actinic. Your hosting company may include autoresponder capability - I use pinbrook and they do. Just enter a specific e-mail address in the contact section, eg. "contact@yourdomain.com" then on your autoresponder just set it up to respond to anything to that specific mail address. You can then also have other e-mails that don't go to autoresonder.

4) If you downloaded the eval package from the site then that is the full version, you just have to enable it with the licence key. When you buy it you'll probably get a manual and cd with the licence code (i did), but there's no need to reinstall - just licence the eval version.
      John

Comment

Regarding 1. on your list.

I don't know which advice you're trying to follow so can't tell you how to do it, but in actinic you have to edit either the html templates or the content of the site. Sometimes you have to edit some of the pre-determined content that actinic usees when generating pages and that's contained under Design>Text.

Editing the preview pages does no good as they're generated by actinic using the templates and content. Everytime actinic runs it will re-create these pages and overwrite any changes you make.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks guys, that should keep me busy for a while.

From what you say about not needing to reload when I get the full version, can I continue building my site over and above the 25 products safe in the knowledge that when I register all will be well?

Didn't spot the obvious auto e-mail reply solution, bit of blinkered thinking on my part, thanks.

Graham
          Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

doesn't it pop up a box everytime you open it where you can choose to either enter a licence key or continue to evaluate?
            John

Comment

No, it just opens into the programme.
              Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

hmm.. strange. I downloaded the v7 demo last week and it asks everytime i open it if i want to authorise or evaluate. I think i'll leave that question to someone else then...
                John

Comment

V.7 25 item evaluation version >>>>> I don't think this is a 30 day trial, it is a freebie magazine offer which can be used to build a site with 25 or less products

Comment

That's the kiddie.

So will I be able to stick what I've done on the limited version onto the full version when I get it?

Thanks,

Graham
                    Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

So will I be able to stick what I've done on the limited version onto the full version when I get it?
                      Absolutely. If you just install Actinic v7 full version onto your PC, it will offer to upgrade your 25 product version.

Comment

Brilliant,

Thanks

Graham
                        Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X