Age Check Feature at Checkout - V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age Check Feature at Checkout - V6

This one has been touched on in another thread, but was never closed.

To comply with the Licensing Act 2003 we online wine merchants have to demonstrate promotion of 4 main licensing objectives, one of which is the protection of children. What this means in practice is that we have to show "due diligence" has been taken to prevent our inadvertently flogging wine to minors. There are clearly limits to what can be done, as any minor with half a brain and their parents credit card can easily order just about anything by mail these days - and it's simply not possible to do a 100% guaranteed check on every remote purchaser. What's more we have to contend with the spectre of test-purchasing by the authorities. "Best Practice" in this regard is seen as the customer having to fill in their date of birth, the website software checking they are over 18, and if not diverting them to somewhere like www.drinkaware.co.uk. It seems an "I am over 18" tick box (which is described in the Actinic advanced user guide and which I have satisfactorily implemented) may not be enough. I can't see how the date thing can possibly give any extra protection, and it will be a major put-off for some real customers, but that's apparently the way it is.

Any ideas as to how to do this anyone?

Regards

Nick
    Fighting with sellerdeck on http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk

A lot of alcohol websites ask for the date of birth before they even allow you into the site (eg: Veuve Clicquot) - this is just a simple DD MM YYYY drop down box - all well and good but does not stop anyone entering 01 Jan 1940 as their year of birth and it will allow you in.

Test purchasing by the Local Authority / Police involves minors buying face to face and if asked a direct question regarding their DOB they have to tell the truth IE they cannot say 01 Jan 1940 if it is really 01 Jan 1990. Test purchasing is done primarily to prevent street drinking by under age drinkers. Your website is aimed at the more discerning customer so I imagine many underaged drinkers will be discouraged before they start (no alcopops)

You can also add the age restrictions to the T&C and make the purchaser agree to the terms as well as the "I am over 18" check box .... this will need labelling carefully if you ship outside the UK where the legal min age may be 21 for example

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Test purchasing can (and we have to assume will) take place via websites. We also have to assume that those doing the test purchasing will not distinguish between sites like mine - where expensive wines are not likely to be of interest to minors - and other sites where cheaper product is available. I don't know exactly how it works, but they may even have targets to meet, like traffic wardens. We already do the tickbox & Ts & Cs stuff.

I think an age-check on the front page would probably be equally valid (and equally useless, but it keeps the bureaucrats happy), but I rather think that one at the checkout would be nicer.

So all implementation ideas gratefully received.

Nick

Comment

If you don't already use it for anything else, Product Details | Layout | Date Info Prompt could be used. We use it for delivery date, but in your case you could ask users to enter date of birth instead. If the order comes through with a date which indicates they are under 18 you could follow up with further enquiries before processing.
        Brian
        www.flowergallery.co.uk
        Same day flower delivery to UK
        Same day flower delivery to Republic of Ireland
        International Flower Delivery

Located in Argyll, Scotland, UK

Comment

Originally posted by NickD
          Test purchasing can (and we have to assume will) take place via websites.
          May be worth checking with the LA / Police as to the rules regarding online test purchases - ie do the test purchasers have to provide a genuine DOB. Also ask them to clarify if your exisiting steps are sufficient to cover yoursleves is an underage person does buy from you.

If a genuine underage purchaser buys from your site and ticks all the boxes and agrees they are over the legal minimum age where do you stand. Genuine buyers are not constrained by the Police test requirements and they and not in the shop for you to see they are underage (although that is fraught with danger).

Taking the implementation further if you have quantity in cart option selected you could change the "proceed" button to read "I am over 18 proceed with my order" or similar .... where do you stop though

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Brian

I think I'm being a bit dim today because I can't find Product Details | Layout | Date Info Prompt - another clue please?

Jont

Your idea re the PROCEED button is a good one - within reason I think we could do a few more things like that. But as you say, where do you stop? Indications I have from the authorities indicate test purchasing is on the cards although I will do a bit more digging.

Nick

Comment

In v6 you will find this field in the Prompts tab.

Comment

and where might that be?
                Any chance of a full path?

Regards

Nick

Comment

Double click on the product to open it. Select the 'prompts' tab.

Mike

PS. If you look for 'prompts tab' in the actinic help index it'll explain how to use it.
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X