Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML Validation Problems

Hello Folks,

I'm working on a new template for act_primary which will have the same look as before when I'm finished, but am trying to use better code to achieve the result.

http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/Exclusives.html

There were a few Netquoatevars to do with Coupons which I have commented out and placed at the bottom of the page. Everything seems to work O.K., so hopefully I haven't missed out anything vital.

The problem is trying to validate the code using W3C validation service. I currently have 21 errors on the page. My only consolation is that this is two less errors than validating the act_primary following a fresh install of Actinic (clean layout 14)

The attached file shows the validation results for my edited act_primary. A lot of the errors are to do with Netquotevars, and I assume there is nothing I can do about this?

The depricated attributes such as cellspacing etc., I can sort out using CSS.

However, I am not sure how to correct the following nine errors:-

1. Line 8, column 27: there is no attribute "VALUE"
    <Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="NETQUOTEVAR:BASEHREF"/>

2. Line 8, column 49: element "ACTINIC:BASEHREF" undefined
    <Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="NETQUOTEVAR:BASEHREF"/>

3. Line 22, column 20: element "ACTINIC:COOKIECHECK" undefined
    <Actinic:COOKIECHECK/>

14. Line 87, column 73: end tag for element "A" which is not open
    ...to:" + _l + "' class='contact'>" + _m + "</a>");

17. Line 110, column 62: element "ACTINIC:NOWSERVING" undefined
    ... <!-- NETQUOTEVAR:LOGINLINK --><ACTINIC:NOWSERVING />

18. Line 111, column 27: element "ACTINIC:CURRACCOUNT" undefined
    <ACTINIC:CURRACCOUNT /><ACTINIC:LOGOUT_SIMPLE />

19. Line 111, column 52: element "ACTINIC:LOGOUT_SIMPLE" undefined
    <ACTINIC:CURRACCOUNT /><ACTINIC:LOGOUT_SIMPLE />

20. Same as 14

21. Line 157, column 25: end tag for element "SCRIPT" which is not open
    </SCRIPT>

I have no clue what is meant by "undefined" which accounts for five of these errors.

Errors 14 and 20 refer to a mailto: script and I can't see what is wrong.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for these errors please?

Many thanks,

Myles
    Attached Files
    www.magicalwonders.com

Are you uploading Act_Primary.html and validating that?

If so expects a lot of wierd "errors" as NETQUOTEVARS are usually expanded by Actinic before the page is generated.

It is much more accurate to try validating an Actinic generated page.

You can ignore any errors due to <Actnic:BASEHREF...> and other <Actinic:xxxx> type tags. These are needed by Actinic and aren't part of the core HTML spec.

You shouldn't be seeing many NETQUOTEVAR:.... type fragments (except NETQUOTEVAR:RANDOM) on generated pages. If you do it may be because you've moved a NETQUOTEVAR to the wrong template where Actinic doesn't expand it.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Oh dear it's worse than I thought Norman.

Yes I was validating an offline act_primary. So I took your advice and validated the online page at:-

http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/Exclusives.html

It came up with 136 errors!

I haven't moved any Netqotevars to templates outside of act_primary. All I did was create a new template and dump everything back in the same locations on the page.

It's going to be a slog to improve the results. It looks like that I can't do much about most of the errors as they are being generated by Actinic.

Have just had a quick look at some other Actinic sites and the code doesn't seem to validate any better on them than it does mine!
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Hi Myles

I've reponded to one of your posts here: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...0430#post70430

Could youi possibly avoid running three threads simultaneously. It makes it impossible to keep track of where you are up to.

Also, you need to compact your HTML before uploading it - otherwise w3c rejects all the <actinic:template> tags used by the dreamweaver plug-in.

Comment

Fair point Chris,

I guess I should have continued my "starting again" thread here.

My apologies.

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
          X