Design Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Design Problem

I've just had a look at the design for my site in a higher screen resolution (1024 x 768) and it seems I have a problem.

The two column product box is aligned to the left for some reason. In 800 x 600 it's nicely centered.

I have had a look in the act_primary and actproductbody and everything seems to be align=center.

Can anyone see why the product info is being pushed to the left?

http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/Exclusives.html

Many thanks

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

When I brought the source code into DW it flagged the following HTML errors

Line 9 Col 74 : Moved <html> to actual beginning of html content.
    Line 11 Col 555 : Moved <body> to actual beginning of body content.
    Line 31 Col 1411 : Removed a duplicate "style" attribute from a <input> tag.
    Line 31 Col 1427 : Closed a <font> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 31 Col 1786 : Closed a <form> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 31 Col 1786 : Closed a <table> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 31 Col 1786 : Closed a <div> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 40 Col 24 : Closed a <noscript> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 47 Col 1402 : Removed a duplicate "style" attribute from a <input> tag.
    Line 47 Col 1418 : Closed a <font> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 63 Col 1383 : Removed a duplicate "style" attribute from a <input> tag.
    Line 63 Col 1399 : Closed a <font> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.
    Line 79 Col 1389 : Removed a duplicate "style" attribute from a <input> tag.
    Line 79 Col 1405 : Closed a <font> tag that was left unclosed or overlapped other tags.

I would address these errors and see if it gets better

Comment

I assume all these errors are dotted around the various templates?

This sort of follows on from a previous thread:-

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=12715

Not really convinced (yet) that these errors are causing the problem. With the exception of the DIV and table tag, none of the rest relate to positioning. (Of course I could be wrong!)

I have a copy of DW kicking around some place. How would you suggest I address these errors? Import each template into DW and correct as I go. Does that sound like a plan, or is there an easier way?

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles,

The problem you face is that unless you tidy up the code you're using, no-one is going to look at it in detail to try and identify a particular problem.

As to how to do it, you need to look at each error the tools throw up and then go into the templates and fix them one by one.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I understand Mike,

However, The html and body tags (The first two errors highlighted) appear to be in the correct place according to W3C validation. This begs the question when is an error not an error? I've downloaded another checker and that comes up with different results to DreamWeaver and W3C!. I assume I should stick with W3C recomendations ?

I've started wading my way through the code but most of the errors are being produced by Actinic by way of Netquotevars. My site would appear to contain a lot less errors than most Actinic sites (on random research) at the moment. How much I can improve the code though remains to be seen.

Here is one of the errors thrown up by W3C validation. It has to do with Javascript of which I know nothing. If you can confirm I've corrected it O.K. I would be grateful.

Line 14, column 30: end tag for "SCRIPT" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this
          var colwidth = Math.floor(100 / 2);
          I'm using Normans multi-column code. I assume the part of the code in question is:

var colwidth = Math.floor(100 / CUSTOMVAR:NUMCOLS);
          // -->
          </script>
          I have no amended this to:
          var colwidth = Math.floor(100 / CUSTOMVAR:NUMCOLS);
          </script>
          // -->
          Have I handled this correctly?

Many thanks,

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Ooops, that doesn't work. I guess I'm wrong!
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Line 9 Col 74 : Moved <html> to actual beginning of html content.
              Line 11 Col 555 : Moved <body> to actual beginning of body content.
              You can ignore these 2 errors- they were generated by me!! when I imported into DW.

Comment

// -->

the presence of this is JS is just to hide the code from older browsers

Comment

Why is it reporting no end tag when </script> is right there on the page? I don't understand how to fix what apparently isn't broken.

O.K. I've gone from 136 errors to 119 so far. I've uploaded the results and now when clicking on "Products" on the "Home" page I get a grey screen for a second or two before it displays the correct page.

I would have expected that the site would have become more efficient as the code is corrected. I seem to be getting the reverse result.

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Down to 111. Absolutely knackered. Off to bed!
                    www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Hi Myles

You will have to be very lateral in thought when cleaning up your code. The errors flagged aren't necessarily going to point to the actual code that has to be corrected.

for example you ask

Why is it reporting no end tag when </script> is right there on the page? I don't understand how to fix what apparently isn't broken.
                      the end tag which is causing the problem is at the very end of the page </TABLE></BODY></HTML></SCRIPT>

the presence of the </SCRIPT> outside of the html means the code is going to object. The secret is knowing where this </SCRIPT> should be.

As for cleaning up the rest of the code - Take this line .....
                      <a name="sectiontop"> <A HREF="shop.html"><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><I><B> </B></I></SPAN></A><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><B>Exclusives</B></SPAN></a><a name="sectiontop"> <Actinic:CartError_List/></a>
                      <a name="sectiontop"> is missing its </a> even though it is there further along the line there is a nested <A HREF within it. To eliminate the closing </a> this tag will have to be moved

<a name="sectiontop"></a> <A HREF="shop.html"><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><I><B> </B></I></SPAN></A><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><B>Exclusives</B></SPAN><a name="sectiontop"></a> <Actinic:CartError_List/>
                      You should also be removing redundant tags for example
                      <SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><I><B> </B></I></SPAN> does nothing

actually I can take that one step further

<A HREF="shop.html"><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><I><B></B></I></SPAN></A> does nothing, there's no text between the <B> tags to be displayed to mane the hyperlink

<a name="sectiontop"></a>
                      <SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><B>Exclusives</B></SPAN>
                      <Actinic:CartError_List/>
                      So we are left with the above, where the duplicate anchor link to section top should be removed

<SPAN CLASS="actxsmall"><B>Exclusives</B></SPAN>
                      <Actinic:CartError_List/>
                      I've left the <Actinic:CartError_List/> alone because I don't know how that has managd to infiltrate the code.

If this were my code (god Forbid ) I would start again. I don't know which HTML editor you are using but I suspect that you are doing everything WYSIWYG, to get clean code you often need to work in split screen mode so you can see the design and the code at the same time, this way you can move code around without leaving half of it behind, thus ending up with a jumble

Good Luck!!

Comment

Starting again sounds like a good plan Jo.

All I've done in the way of editing is to use a different layout for act_primary and Normans multi-column code using notepad and a bit of cut and paste!

As to starting again, I've uploaded the example store that comes with Actinic. I've made no changes and W3C reports 55 errors!

Not all of these errors are down to Netquotevar stuff. Here's a couple of examples:-

Line 36, column 641: end tag for "TABLE" which is not finished
                        ...OP" VALUE=""></td></tr></form></table> <br><br><table width="100" border="0"
                        Line 36, column 245: document type does not allow element "TR" here
                        ...cgi-bin/ss000001.pl" METHOD="GET"><tr><td valign=middle noWrap align=left> <i
                        Line 35, column 1511: document type does not allow element "DIV" here; missing one of "APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

...ME="sectionbottom"><DIV ALIGN="RIGHT"> </DIV> <DIV ALIGN="CENTER"> </DIV></A
                        There are plently more like that. So the big question is what chance do I have to get it right if Actinic includes these errors to start with?

I'm not knocking Actinic here, but I would have expected a store layout following a clean install to have fewer errors than 55!

Myles
                        www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Hi Myles

I've reponded to one of your posts here: http://community.actinic.com/showthr...0430#post70430

Could you possibly avoid running three threads simultaneously. It makes it impossible to keep track of where you are up to.

Comment

Chris,

This thread deals with a specific problem regarding the positioning of products when viewed at 1023 x 768.

As no solution was forthcoming I believe this thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=14742 which refers to an entirely different set of problems is appropriate.

Myles
                            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
                            X