Linking Actinic To MS Access Data Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking Actinic To MS Access Data Base

I have linked my actinic catalogue to an access data base so as to be able to produce various reports and maintain information quicker than in Actinic.

This has been working fine for a couple of weeks now , but after creating a couple of new products, of which I can see no problem, all my 'unallocated' products have disapeared

My first thought is that there may be a limit to the number of products that actinic is able to link to?

Does any one have any ideas.........
    Andy McCallum

The Craft Shop

www.thecraftshoponline.co.uk

Hi Andy,

I'm only a newbie myself so my answer may not be relavent, but I've found after tinkering about with Access that sometimes the Link Products To An External Database needs to be re-checked. File | External Links | Link Products To An External Database.

Andrew

Comment

Andy,
      What is an unallocated product?
      Did you add the new products via catalog or are you doing this via the access links?
      I use Access to link to that actinic dbase to generate a certificate of posting form. (Collects the orders information for that day and creates a spreadsheet and squirts it out for postie to sign) amongst other things with no problems at all.
      Although one word about the links, I did create the links using a fully qualified UNC name rather than using a virtual drive letter. This means that the mdb file can be used from machine to machine without having to map to a particular drive letter.
      HTH
      Andrew
      Andrew Fish
      Http://www.BatteryShed.co.uk
      For all your battery requirements at prices less than in the high street.
      "Batteries without the overcharging"

Comment

Unallocated Products

When you create a product in Access rather than Actinic it doesnt have the section / department information so it puts them in an unallocated section.

I think what has happened is that I have created some products in access and there is a valu wrong, I am trying to identify the product at the moment so I can examine the data in the record.

What i am thinking of doing, albeit a long way round is to create the new products in excel, then do a flat file import and maintain the products in access.

Trying to find products with no shipping weight is a bit of a nightmare without access or similar.
        Andy McCallum

The Craft Shop

www.thecraftshoponline.co.uk

Comment

Arh okay, so you have added a new product without specifying it's section id or parent section id or whatever it is?
          If you are familiar with Access it's really useful for global updates on the data (after a suitable backup of course). Like changing all the meta data for products in a particular section for example... I mean with 500+ products just how long would that take editing in those forms?
          Andrew
          Andrew Fish
          Http://www.BatteryShed.co.uk
          For all your battery requirements at prices less than in the high street.
          "Batteries without the overcharging"

Comment

Working...
          X