Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to link products together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to link products together?

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to link products together so that you have to buy both.

The reasoning behind this is that i need to gather quite a lot of information from the customer, and it is quite inelegant having the drop down menu's by each product as well as being a little confusing. What i was hoping to do was create "product A" which is the actual product choice with a few price altering variants, then when you click add to cart it should do so but then forward to "product B" which contains the information drop downs. Product B would have no price value but the data needs to be carried through the order as it is critical info.

Product B should only be accessable by forwarding from Product A.

Thanks in advance

I don't think that what you want is possible. Alternatives would require some serious JavaScript (1) or Perl (2) patching.

Scenarios could be:-

1) Use a custom product template that comments out the extra choices. Use JavaScript to divert the submit button to opening a popup page that asks for the extra info. Merge this info with original choices and submit the form.

2) Use a custom product template that comments out the extra choices. Modify the ShoppingCart and ActinicOrder Perl scripts to detect that type of product and prompt (in the Confirmation Page or Cart) for the extra parameters.

Both big jobs.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I thought it may be like this.

Time for some serious head scratching I reckon!

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Ok another way of doing this could be:

Make a custom "Next Step" button that automatically adds Product A to the Cart and also forwards to Product B which would then have the standard add to cart button allowing a normal checkout. ( product B would always be the same URL as it is critical info regardless of the first product).

Is this possible to do?

Comment

Sounds too flakey as this would depend on your customers buying both and not wandering off somewhere else in-between.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

My customers will be solely focused on buying my products and nothing else. ( only kidding.)

Yep i am rather clutching at straws i think. I am going to present the site with all the options together and see what the partners think.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X