Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The more products on page the greater the gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more products on page the greater the gap?

Hi,

On my website I have a section page which when only one product is within the section it displays fine.

Note: A product on this page is actualy made up of three, the fist is just details desc, origin etc. The other two are products in different sizes that the customer can order.

As more products are added the gap between the first product and the top of the page is increasing

Any ideas why this should be and where the best place to start looking would be?

To view the problem have a look at http://www.ellwoodsofdumfries.co.uk/...ntial_A_C.html

For a single product where the layout is ok http://www.ellwoodsofdumfries.co.uk/...og/Single.html

I've looked through the final source code and I'm unable to see where the cause of the problem is.

Has anyone any ideas as to the possible cause or where to start looking?

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew

This has been seen on other sites. It is usually because some visible content in your Product Template(s) or Product Sepatator is outside <td> and </td> tags.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, could you post an example?

Regards,

Andrew

Comment

Norman,

I think I understand what you mean...

You mean having a <BR> out side of a table tag for example?

Andrew

Comment

Under FireFox the whole page is laid out strangely - there are comment tags showing "-->" around the top of your left hand navigation column and around the "add to cart" button".

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I had a quick peek at the source of a generated page but quickly backed away as you're not using Compact HTML/CGI (Design / Options / Miscellaneous) and all the commenting out was way to hard to follow.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Surely if I'm looking for something out side of table tags, isn't it easier if the code isn't compacted?

Would it help if I updated the site but with code compacted?

Thanks & Regards,

Andrew

Comment

I wouldn't worry about compacting for this problem.

The error will be in your product template (which is why it gets worse when you have more products).

the problem is most like a <BR> that is not within a <td> </td> tag as this is the only place content should appear within a table.

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Actinic uses comments to introduce bits of code that come from each Template. You've chosen to comment out (and add) bits within the template in order to achieve your own layout.

All these comments make it very hard to "see" the page as a web-browser would. Especially if you've inadvertantly nested some comment tags wrongly.

It won't hurt to use Compact HTML/CGI and Preview a page to see what you get then.

Comment

Thank you all for your comments & sugestions.

I've gone through all the templaters used, or at least I think I have, and I can't find an orphan tags. Even when going through the source I'm unable to see it (them).

I've also tried the page with the compact HMTL option on, but this makes no difference.

During my search I came across the following in the ProductBody template: -

Code:
                    <TABLE WIDTH="600" cols="5" BORDER="0" CELLPADDING="2" CELLSPACING="0" ALIGN="center">

NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBULK

</TABLE>
                    If I change the Cellpadding to '0' then the space disapears, but throws out the spacing on other pages.

Could this '2' be the cause, and if so why haven't I got the same problem on other pages?

Regards,

Andrew

Comment

That's wierd. It could be that you've got incomplete tables and that the padding is being applied in the wrong place.

It may be a good idea to tempoarily turn on table borders so you can see your generated cell layout.

Comment

Working...
                      X