Programming code for Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming code for Actinic

Does anyone know of a low cost way of learning the ins & outs of hard coding for actinic. (perhaps a book or some other solution).
    I really need to learn more without going on an expensive course.
    Cheers
    www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

I recommend the w3schools HTML, CSS and XHTML tutorials for basic grounding in those three subjects.

How to use them in Actinic is then down to reading the threads here, the advanced guide etc and experimenting in a duplicate folder.

(I copy site1 to mysitedup then rename site1 to origsite, rename mysitedup to site1 - play around, make notes of what works, rename origsite to site1 and apply the working change(s)).

An added advantage of doing copy/rename is that generally the site gets defragmented at the same time. This would not work so well if I just made a backup (in case) and carried on working in site1. Redoing the working change means I have a clean set of steps to duplicate next time I need to do something similar.

You can tell I started in DOS can't you <grin>
    hth
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I'm a big fan of the SAMS "Teach Yourself" range of books. You should be able to find these in your nearest Ottakar's / Waterstone's or online.

Any of their (X)HTML books or (X)HTML with CSS will come in handy i suspect. Depending on what stage you're at with HTML, it'll start you from the raw basics, or you can skip what you know and get to the interesting bits.

The 'advanced guide' in the Actinic downloads page is a must if you don't already have it.

Actinic aside, how much Web design / coding have you done?

Ryan

Comment

Thanks for those tips. I'll certainly have a look at them.

My web design experience was zero before getting Actinic earlier this year, although I do have considerable experience in BASIC, a little of visual basic & have learnt some basics of html.
        www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

Comment

The reason i asked is that, if you currently have little knowledge of Web site design / development, you may find it useful to knock up a few Web sites while working through (online or paper based) tutorials. As you're a programmer, you should find HTML markup pretty straightforward once you get a hang of it. Just a suggestion. I'm a firm believer in 'practise makes perfect' for anything - keep doing it and keep learning from it.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
          X