Act_section_tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Act_section_tree

My home page loads very slow so I took look at my files and I found out it's because of "Act_section_tree" is 1.4 MB. what can I do to reduce the size of this file?

Attached is the Act_section_tree

Below are the categories I want in my home page:

Ark Lighting
    BRK Electronics
    Dabmar Lighting
    DMF Lighting
    Elco Lighting
    Fantech Fans
    FireX
    Fluke Electronics
    Focus Industries
    General Electric
    Halo Lighting
    Hubbell
    Intermatic
    Juno Lighting
    Kichler Lighting
    Klein Tools
    Leviton
    Lightolier Lighting
    Lithonia Lighting
    Lumark
    Lutron
    Malibu Lighting
    Nutone
    Panasonic
    Panamex
    Progress
    RAB Electric
    Sea Gull Lighting
    Ushio
    Vista Lighting
    WAC Lighting
    Wiremold
    X10 PRO

I would appreciate any help you can give me...

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Hi.
    Im not sure if there is a way to make it smaller.
    What i did was edited the actinic html files so that i made my own sitemap and just had direct links to the different sections as my Act_Sec_Tree file is over 3mb in total. I opened the Act_Sec_tree with notepad and deleted all the info and saved it again. After doing a site upload i simply ftp the 0 bytes file to the directory so that when the website calls it then it calls a 0bytes file.

Take a look at my site at http://www.irwebonline.com
    If this method interests you then post back and ill do a more detailed explanation for you.
    http://www.irwebonline.com

Comment

YES Please explain in more detail how I can do this. It sounds promissing.
      I will try it for sure. Thanks.

Comment

Ok you will have to bare with me as im not a pro at any of this.

First you need to open your ACT_Primary template in a html editor such as dreamweaver.
        Find the section that relates to writing the ACT_Sec_Tree.js file into the page and remove that code from the template. In its place you need to create your own text links to the sections your wanting to link to.
        You will also need to edit other templates as well such as the ACT_Cart_Primary and ACT_Checkout_Primary with the same information.

Once you have done this you need to download a copy of the ACT_Sec_tree file from your server and open it with notepad or word or something. Once opened just delete every line in it and save it in the same .js format.
        Re-Upload your website. Once your website is uploaded it will upload a full size ACT_Sec_Tree.js file you will need to manually ftp into your server and overwrite it with the 0 bytes file you have created. You will need to do this each time you update your website.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Comment

Dear Simon,

Never mind messing around on these discussion forums, why don't you answer your phone or emails?

I ordered a Mobile phone battery from your website on Thursday 30th June 2005 - you've managed to take my money, but I've not seen any sign of the battery yet. Your website proclaims 24/7 operation; a "a quick response" to emails & "orders before 3pm will be processed the same day"

Even allowing for the Post Office, I would have expected to see it by today (Tues 5th July). If there is a problem it might be good business sense to apologise for the delay using your "quick response" email system!.

Thank you.

Comment

Maybe less haste in criticising and more reading of the email that was sent to you at 12.44pm today might be a better approach considering it was replied to two minutes after you had sent the email to me.

Comment

Jack,

You don't need the Act_section_tree.js file at all unless you want to display a multi-level listing of your section structure.

You've not posted an URL to your site so it's a bit hard to comment on why you're using that file at all.

Assuming you're using the YahooSections code in Act_Primary.html here's how to display only the top-level and use a tiny file instead of Act_section_tree.js.

Edit Act_Primary.html and replace

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONTREE_RAW -->

with

NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONS_RAW

look for the fragment

document.write(YahooSections(section_tree))

and replace with

document.write(YahooSections(sections))

That's that.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Dear Norman, Thanks for looking into this for me. Please see attached.
                What you advised us to do, was very helpfull, but if I do it the way you have told us, It will only show us the top level sections which are (Specials, Products, Manufacturers).
                What I like to see is:
                Dont show the subsections for "SPECIALS"
                Dont show the subsections for "PRODUCTS"
                SHOW only the Top level Subsections for "Manufacturers" For example under manufacturers, I want only to see the Fantech fans. I do not want it to show the subcatagories under the Fantech Fans.(see attached).

Is that something I can do , by changing the codes? If so, how?
                Attached Files

Comment

Actinic can either genrate a small top-level section list - which isn't enough for you, Or a full section-tree which is too big for your particular needs.

You seem to want a unique subset of the section structure.

The only way to achieve this is to hand-code a set of links that lead to the fixed subset of pages that you want.
                  Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                  Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                  X