Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Act_Primary Design Question

Hello Everybody,

This concerns a new template I've designed for the act_primary. (Originally clean layout 13)

http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/index.html

I've noticed that Actinic have used a nested table design for all of the clean layouts, whereas I have just put all the Netquotevar: Bulk stuff within a non nested table. This is probably a question for someone at Actinic, but it suddenly occured that there might be a reason for putting stuff in a nested table?

Can anyone advise if there is a technical reason why Netquoatevar: Bulk should go in a nested table? Or am I O.K. to continue with my design?

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

I would imagine it is just for layout purposes - would be VERY surprised if it broke anything... have you tried adding to cart and other tests to see if all is hunky-dory?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi Jonty,

Yes, everything seems to work O.K. so far.

What has got me wondering though is that the clean layouts are so basic in design, there may have been another reason for using a nested table. I can't see any advantage based on design why a nested table is being used for the clean layouts.

I've commented a lot of Netquatevars that I'm not currently using. However, I may re-intoduce a feature or two later down the road. I just want to make sure that I'm not creating problems for myself by not using a nested table.

Anybody from Actinic care to comment?

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

I do the same as you Myles, when starting a new site I remove all the nested table and really clean up before I start

Comment

Thanks Jo,

It sounds like I'm on the right track.

I'm a bit baffled why Actinic hasn't had a go at this at some point over the last few years. I suspect that the designs for the clean layout themes are much the same now as they were when the program first came out. Even though the syntax of the code includes basic errors.

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

I'm a bit baffled why Actinic hasn't had a go at this at some point over the last few years.
            Because the way the site upgrader works means that if we significantly changed the templates for the clean layouts in v7 - then everyone who has created a custom design based on a clean layout would find that their design would be upgraded (and significantly altered). This is not a good idea.

Nested tables are terribly old-fashioned, and I would not use them if I were designing the themes now. Feel free to remove the nested table around the bulk area.

Comment

Thanks for responding Chris,

then everyone who has created a custom design based on a clean layout would find that their design would be upgraded (and significantly altered).
              Isn't that what I'm doing? Does this mean I'll have big problems if I upgrade to Version 8 or 9 when the time comes?

Myles
              www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

After v7, the upgrader is completely changing for that so it will actually just take your design and upgrade it as it is, rather than trying to compare the old template to the new template.

Fear not! It will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                  take your design and upgrade it as it is

Fear not! It will be OK.
                  <sighs of relief from the four corners of the globe>

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Fear not! It will be OK.
                    i have noted this and filed it away!!

Comment