Kelkoo Tradedoubler tracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelkoo Tradedoubler tracking

I am currently using, amongst others, Kelkoo to advertise my products. I am not sure whether we are actually making any sales off the back of the advertising so I'd like to implement tracking.

Kelkoo have given us a perl script that we need to include in the receipt page. The problem is, I'm not sure how to implement this. As a perl script, I assume that it has to be run server side.

Has anyone got the Kelkoo tradedoubler tracking working? If so, how did you implement this in your receipt page?

Many thanks, James

Hi James,

Are you sure it is a perl script they have given you or a bit of javascript to stick on the receipt page?

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Basically, they have given me four options for the code:
      - ASP
      - JSP
      - PHP
      - Perl

I asked them if they have a javascript version and they told me they don't. Google Adwords uses Javascript tracking and I have that set up and working perfectly but Kelkoo tell me they don't.

The tracking process Kelkoo has told us to use involves Tradedoubler. Is this familiar?

Thanks, James

Comment

Hi James,

We had a look at this and must admit it blew our minds. Also we were getting worried about the amount of code we were adding for dealtime, pricegrabber, kelkoo etc and how this may effect performance etc

We took the easy way out and put a field in the checkout saying how did you find our site? Most people do fill it in with google, yahoo, kelkoo etc etc but we have left ourselves open to wise guys with comments like very nice site, slow etc

Its not ideal because we keep an excel spreadsheet to give us some idea of the split of our orders.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

We've tried doing that buy made it a little more complex by having a drop down list. The default option is "Please select:" and then there are options for price comparison, search engine, word of mouth, etc. The problem is that most people just leave the default or select search engine. If they select search engine, we don't know if this really is a search engine or actually a price comparison engine.

Basically, we feel that leaving it up to the customer doesn't give us accurate enough information and this is why we'd like to get the tracking working properly.

Has anyone actually got Kelkoo tracking working??

Comment

We had Kelkoo tracking (via Tradedoubler) working on our old site but this was a PHP site, not Actinic.
            I don't remember how we did it but I can remember it was a complete nightmare.
            We only put the tracking on because the clicks charged were astronmic and bore no relation to the traffic recorded in our stats, curiously enough the clicks dropped dramatically when we had tracking working.
            Needless to say we do not recommend using Kelkoo, not even with a ten foot bargepole, stick to Google adwords, target your keywords very tightly and track those clicks.
            You are still open to the problem of a competitor racking up your costs by clicking on your adwords using AOL proxy servers (from experience)

Comment

We have a "how did you find us?" question on our site, and we also use conversion tracking enabled in Google and Overture. However, we also use a monitoring service www.enterurl.com which gives us more information, including a web traffic log which gives detailed information on each visit. The following is an example of a snapshot taken for one visit:-

Visit details
              Visit time Jul 15 10:32:39
              First visit? yes
              Host name Unknown
              IP address 193.130.125.130
              Referrer www.google.co.uk
              Search phrase florists in ireland
              Location Bebington, United Kingdom
              Language English (American)
              Time zone GMT+1
              Web browser Mozilla 5
              Operating system Windows XP
              Color quality 32 bit color (top quality)
              Screen resolution 1024x768
              Java yes
              JavaScript yes
              Cookies yes

Pages visited by this user
              Jul 15
              10:32:39 acatalog/Flower_Gallery_United_Kingdom___Ireland_120.html?source=google/florists-in-ireland
              10:33:54 acatalog/Flower_Gallery_United_Kingdom___Ireland_120.html?source=google/florists-in-ireland/Flower_G
              10:34:30 acatalog/Flower_Gallery_Florist_s_Choice_57.html
              10:34:46 acatalog/Bouquet__1010_.html
              10:52:48 cgi-bin/ca000003.pl
              10:55:17 acatalog/Bouquet__1010_.html
              10:55:30 cgi-bin/os000003.pl?ACTION=Start
              10:55:33 cgi-bin/os000003.pl?ACTION=Start
              10:56:41 cgi-bin/os000003.pl
              10:56:43 cgi-bin/os000003.pl
              10:59:13 cgi-bin/os000003.pl?SEQUENCE=3&ACTION=Next &ORDERNUMBER=DT66BA30008434&REFPAGE=http://www.flowergall

From this we can establish, for each order placed, the source, keywords, and path taken through the site to the order point. As the order number is displayed, we can relate the info to a specific order, and determine the precise source of the order, which may not always be what the customer entered in the "How did you find us?" field.

For example, we advertise on Google, Overture, and Espotting. As well as displaying results on their own sites, these services also contract out to other search engines and directories. So, for example, AOL displays Google results. So if you ask an AOL customer where he found you, he will answer "AOL", but by using enterurl.com you will be able to establish that he found you through Google Adwords.

We find most users enter Google as the answer to where did you find us, but at least 15% of these are inaccurate. We also get a large number of "Ask Jeeves" responses, and by using enterurl.com we can establish which ppc campaign actually introduced the customer.

We can also split the Google introductions between Adwords and generic, so we can get very accurate ROI results.
              Brian
              www.flowergallery.co.uk
              Same day flower delivery to UK
              Same day flower delivery to Republic of Ireland
              International Flower Delivery

Located in Argyll, Scotland, UK

Comment

We took the easy way out and put a field in the checkout saying how did you find our site? Most people do fill it in with google, yahoo, kelkoo etc etc but we have left ourselves open to wise guys with comments like very nice site, slow etc
                The best way to do this is to use a drop down list - this limits the choices but does give you a better idea of the routes your are interested in monitoring.

We have a report in our free library that analyses the entries in the 'How did you find our site' field by the way. You can get access to the free plugin library by joining our mailing list.

Regards,
                Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                Multichannel order processing
                Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                X