Can I use Pantone colours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use Pantone colours

Can you use pantone colours within actinic and if so how?
    Chris Ashdown

It's tricky to match pantone colours to screen display. Direct conversion to RGB, depending on the colours used, can produce inaccurate results. Plus there's the issue of calibration on the end-user's monitor - what looks like an exact match of a pantone on your monitor might look very different on someone else's.

If I were you, I'd aim for the closest match you can get on your monitor (recalibrate your monitor first) - maybe by scanning printed materials, adjusting the colour as necessary and then eyedropper-ing them in your graphics app. - then go ahead and use those colours and steadfastly refuse to worry about how it looks to anybody else

Comment

As Kevin says using Pantone colours on a computer screen (or any screen) is pointless - hence all Pantone charts are always on printed swabs and never digital due to the way the colours are mixed and reflected.

Why exactly do you need to use Pantone colours in Actinic?

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
        Why exactly do you need to use Pantone colours in Actinic?
        Presumably he's got a client who wants the website to match their printed marketing fluff. I've had requests like this in the past, but not in recent years (ie: since most printers got a clue about digital).

Comment

If thats the case then good luck - in my experience customers who are fussy enough to specify Pantone colours are going to be a nightmare to please if, as you said above, their own monitor is off kilter and does not show the RGB or HEX equivalent the same as their lovely printed brochures

Bikster

Comment

More likely to be clueless marketing goons than a fussy customer IME. Or the customer has asked for advice from their old-school printer guy/mate down the pub/art student offspring (delete as applicable).

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin
              clueless marketing goons
              We must know the same people

Bikster

Comment

Is there any other type?

Comment

Yes, there are...they are the ones who have actually done...not studied. Although, come to think of it...I've been called a lot worse than a goon in my time.
                  Jeff Pollack
                  www.alldawgs.com
                  www.profleeceusa.com
                  www.4dogclubsonly.com
                  www.silverwood2007.com

Comment

Here is a conversion utility.

http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/colors/conversion/
                    http://www.TheLondonPoject.ca
                    Located at Vancouver, Canada

Comment

Sorry I did not get back earlier folks but demand's on my time etc (weep weep)

I need to be able to overcolour some garments to make them look like their true colours from swatches

That is take a red garment and make it as close to their yellow colour as possible

To actually re photograph each item would cost to much but the only way I can think of is to match with a pantone book the true colour and then use that in either Photoshop elements or Paintshop Pro to represent the colour

Had a quick glance at the link Lonnie, thanks it could come handy
                      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                      X