Shipping Based On Price Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Based On Price Schedule

My client charges a flat rate of $9.95 per order not matter what the size of the order is. For clients that have special pricing (based on the price schedules in Actinic), shipping is free. Basically, large national accounts get free shipping while others have to pay the regular $9.95 charge. How can I set this up? I don't see any way of doing it.

I can only think of one way to do this.

You could set up one part of your store for unregistered customers, and then another part of the store only for registered customers. You could have the same products in both sections - and then set a weight for your products in the store for unregistered customers and have no weight for the products for registered customers. Then charge shipping by weight and if the weight of the order is '0' then charge no shipping, otherwise charge $9.95.

Not a brilliant solution but it should work.

Comment

Chris...if I do that, how do I set it up so that unregistered users only go to the one portion of the store...do I simply hide all the products in the other store from them and vice-versa?

Comment

Yes - and the Advanced User Guide also talks about how you can create an overall layout (primary) template that automatically bounces unregistered customers out of trade-only sections.

Comment

Chris...if I do that, how do we maintain an accurate stock record if the products then have to be duplicated throughout the site?

Comment

There is an idea for different shipping per price schedule on the community here which you might be able to adapt for your store.

For having two products rationalising down to the same item, check the knowledge base here.

Comment

Chris...if I have the same products in both sections and then set a weight for the products in the store for unregistered customers and have no weight for the products for registered customers, how do I set things up in Business Settings. You suggested that I charge shipping by weight and if the weight of the order is '0' then charge no shipping, otherwise charge $9.95. I don't see how I can do this in Business Settings in 6.1.2.

Comment

Ooops...my error. Got it. Sorry.

Comment

Chris...I lied, I can't get this working to save my life. I've given all the products in the one store a value of 5 lbs and in the other a value of 0. I think I set things up properly in the Business settings, but I'm always charged shipping even if there's no weight to a product.

The products all link to other products in order to keep inventory control, and the aliased products are the ones designated with/without weights. Seems like it should work. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Sadly, these two workarounds are mutually incompatible.

Components automatically inherit the weight of the item that they are associated with. Hence even though the products have no weight, the components do.

The only way you can get this to work is to have the products in the restricted area as being the ones that are stock monitored. Then associate the products in the unrestricted area with the products in the restricted area.

Either that, or go with the less sophisticated solution at http://community.actinic.com/showthr...&threadid=1492

Comment

Working...
                    X