Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local index.html Files

Hi,

Our site features two index pages - one is a kind of welcome page (in the root folder) and the other lists the catalogue products (and is in the acatalog directory). This is fine - but I have edited both files locally using Dreamweaver to add some of our own text and a link etc.

My question is, because I have now uploaded these directly using an FTP program, if we update the site products or anything using Actinic to republish, will it overwrite these new index pages with the ones it has locally??

As I suspect it will, can someone confirm the local file locations of the two index files it's generating, so I can perhaps overwrite these with the 'live' ones. Site is at http://www.winnieandfriends.co.uk

Hope you can help..

Many thanks

If you used Dreamweaver to change the templates the pages are built from, AND saved the revised templates under new names in site1 folder AND altered settings in Actinic to use those revised templates for the pages in question - then Actinic will generate the correct content and upload it in the correct place.

If you did anything else - then Actinic will overwrite your current manual load with autogenerated pages using the information in the templates you have told it to work with.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thank you for responding.

I'm not convinced I opened the files for editing from the Actinic area. Do you know eher on my local drive it will keep the 2 index files, and can I just overwrite them? Will this work?

Jason.

Comment

Yes and No, - yes it will 'work' if you remember to upload the alternate files every time you do an update from within Actinic - IF every link contained in the non-Actinic index pages continues to point to valid navigation pages in your online shop.

No, I'm afraid it will not work as a long term solution. Each time you change anything in Actinic and tell it to upload to your website, it will re-generate all the files according to the file templates and information settings within the Actinic folders and overwrite whatever is already on the site.

If you want a sustainable index page that will work every time, its best to make your changes in the Actinic way. There are several guides available here http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/downloads.htm which help explain how to do this, including sections specifically about using Dreamweaver as your HTML editor.

Read those, and then come back here with any further questions.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
        X