Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic built in encryption or SSL Cert

Hi Guys,

I've created a site (www.christiebears.co.uk) and it's all running nicely. The credit card details are captured using the built in Java applet.

Quite a few customers are recently complaining that when they arrive at the page to fill in their credit card details, they are receiving the Java error:-

Sorry, you cannot place your order with a credit card because either
    a)Your browser cannot run Java OR...
    b)You have Java switched off
    etc...........

I have checked with a couble of the customers and they state that they have IE6 security settings set to medium (default) they have also tried re-installing java, but they are still unable to view the java applet!

any ideas on how to fix this????? I've tested it and it all seems ok on my pc (if I set my IE6 security settings to 'High' then I get the error message, but it's all ok when I put it back to 'default' settings).

Also.....

If I were to get my ISP to install a SSL Cert on my site, will it remove the applet? I'm wondering if a SSL cert will use a normal form similar to the name, address, etc?

Also.....

I've got a dedicated linux server running my customers websites. I'd like to know if it is easy to install a certificate myself? would I be far better off getting my ISP to install it for me? they said that a SSL Cert can only be installed per website, I wasn't sure if I could buy a SSL cert for my server, and all the sites could use it. i'm a designer, not a technical guru, so any advice from someone would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Daly
    Daly Design

Personally the route I'd choose is to get your ISP to install an SSL cert for you.

there are issues with theinbuilt encryption with people not having java installed and the lack of the secure padlock.

if you don't have experience in installing SSL then it is better to pay someone who does. Unless you want to buy the actinic shared SSL pack you will have to get one cert per website

Comment

credit card java form

thanks for the reply, I think I'll ask the ISP to sort it out.

Back to my previous question......if Actinic is setup to use a SSL cert on the site will it remove the java applet altogether?

I trust that when SSL is used, the Java applet is removed and a standard html form is used instead (obviously no-one will then receive java errors)

Comment

Go with the Actinic shared SSL. Cheap at £100 and they do the installation for you. Just as an aside, your business website doesn't view in Firefox & Netscape.

Having taken a look at the carebear site, most of the pages are either not present or not functioning properly.
        Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

Comment

When you tell your copy of actinic (payment and security tab) that you are using SSL the option for inbuilt encryption will go

Comment

Cheers!

I've just looked at the Actinic Shared SSL demo site and it does seem to be the ideal solution!

...and it's cheaper than what my ISP can do it for.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X