X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line 50 over networked computers

Hey Guys and Girls

Trying to set up my two computers over a wireless network

Managed to get them talking and access each others c drive but not able to find a way to look for the other computer with the actinic to sage "edit profile"

Actinic online on one computer and moving sage line 50 ver 11 on new offline computer

Looked at actinic book appendices B page 67 but do not understand it

All help gratefully received
    Chris Ashdown

Chris - what OS are you on? If Win XP, did you set things up by creating a workgroup? Did you set file and printer sharing on? Then you need to go to the folder where your data is and share the folder so that you can see it in network places from the second machine.

Once you can do that, you can either set up a drive letter from the sage machine, pointing at the actinic site1 folder using the //machine_name/path_to_folder notation or navigate to it using the file open dialog and passing through network places.

I've ignored firewall, file permissions and a couple of other details that might or might not come into play till you respond on these basics.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Using XP service 2

Its the set up sage drive part I do not understand, I can look at the other computer in Explorer from the online computer and vice verser, but cannot see the other drive when I try to ammend actinic to sage link
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

OK Chris, once you have set the correct folder as shared on the Actinic machine, then from the sage machine using Explorer go to Tools | Map Network Drive. Choose a drive letter or accept the XP default of Z: then in the lower box browse to the shared folder on the Actinic machine and remember to tick reconnect at logon. Once that has taken, Sage should be able to see the drive letter, and that should lead it straight to the data files.
        Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill

Just shut down the system so will try in the morning, But I think thats what I was looking for

Must concratulate you on all the good advice you give on this forum, how do you find the time?

Many Thanks
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Bill

Still having problems, I followed your instructions, and set up a folder "Z" in the Shared Documents on the offline computer where it shows up under explorer "shared Documents" on the Online computer

When I click on it on the offline nothing happens,and if I try the link it again will not access further than the Z drive
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris - we are not communicating very clearly here, sorry.

On the online machine, right click start and then click explore. Navigate through Program Files | Actinic v7 | Sites to the *site1* folder. Right click on this folder and choose Sharing and Security. In the middle of the Sharing tab is Network sharing and security. Tick the box and put in a name (ActiSage?), then OK out.

On the offline computer, go through the steps outlined in post #5. If you use Actisage as your share name, the bottom box would contain \\Online_computer_name\ActiSage
              and in explorer (and the sage file open dialog) this would be listed as ActiSage on Online_computer_name ( Z: ).
              hope this helps.
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X