• Time
  • Show
Clear All

same product suitable for many models

I need to have lots of items listed that fit a variety of models
    example:
    rectangular numberplate fits Model1 and Model2
    square numberplate fits Model3 and Model4 and Model5

normally, everyone tells me to use duplicates - having a warped brain, I thought . . .

can I create a customvar called "FitsModel" and then make this searchable within products
    then within the Properties of the "rectangular numberplate" product add the following:
    FitsModel=Fiesta
    FitsModel=MX5

then within the Properties of the "square numberplate" product add the following:
    FitsModel=LandRover
    FitsModel=Discovery
    FitsModel=X3
    FitsModel=X5

the idea being having the user search for "Fiesta" would then bring up the rectangular numberplate, but if he searches for Model4 he gets the square numberplate.

I am assuming there is nothing to prevent the products having multiple identical properties attached to them.

on this same subject, can I then have the product details show all the models it fits (automatically) - perhaps a generated piece of code that does this

Does the search take uppercase/lowercase into account ? - is "fiesta" the same as "Fiesta"

and finally, what about a button the user can automatically search for all items that fit "MX5"- I could then have a page that offers search-buttons for each model.

if I could do this, then perhaps I wouldn't need such complex set of duplicates.

kev

I dont think that is going to work the way you hoped as a product can only have unique customvars assigned eg:

Product Square Plate > Customvar = LandRover ... you cannot then also assign X5 and X3 etc to the same product

There are probably going to be search related issues as well doing it that way.

Probably best to use the duplicate product option as you can then paste the product into the varoius sections to ease navigation eg: Prodtc Square Plate in the LandRover and BMW (or X3 and X5 subsections) sections.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

What would be wrong with just listing in the description?

This item fits the following list.......

That way the normal search would work. Type in Discovery and you would get all products that fit a Discovery.

If the product groupings are fixed, ie what fits a Fiesta always also fits the MX5, then the lists could be maintained externally perhaps in a customvar.

Or stay with your original concept but type the whole list into your customvar - Land Rover, Discovery, BMW, X3, X5 etc.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
      X