Contact Us and Home page as Navigation text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact Us and Home page as Navigation text

I am using a simple navigation theme where the section text is displayed with the sub sections underneath in a left hand navigation bar.

For consistency I want to add two sections as links in the navigation menu: Contact Us (links to the email form) and Home (links back to the first welcome home page).These text links would be at the end of the catalogue list. The sections display the text OK but do not link correctly to the home page or bring up the contact email form I have taken out the image references in Design>Options>navigation. I am unclear as to what changes should be made and in which template to achieve this.

Thanks

John

John,
    You either need to give us a link to the site so we can see for ourselves, or you need to tell us what theme you are using to get a definitive answer.

In general, you would need to edit Act_NavigationItem.html to comment out the image netquotevar and uncomment the text netquotevar, then add the relevant NQV names after the javascript which writes the section lists in the overall templates (Act_primary and any variants you are using).
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Web site location

Bill,

You can see it at:
      http://support.actinic.co.uk/~dlsupp...alog/MING.html

I am using a number of different primary templatesto show one or two popups so my test changes are just on the primary template for this section.

Thanks

John

Comment

OK - I tried the home link and it worked

To get the links spaced out like the rest put one (or two if needed) <br> between the two NQV names..

BTW when your ready to launch, remember to pop over to http://egyptianwonders.co.uk/cosmic/...nd%20Regional/ to add your site.
        Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill,

I have added in the extra space but the contact us link grings up the various NQV and whilst the home page link works it is brtinging up anotehr window rather than keeping to the same one. So I must have got some reference wrong but can't see where.

John

Comment

Replace all this code in Act_Primary.html and any alternate Overall Layouts you have created
            Code:
            <span class="actxxsmall"></span> <b><A HREF="ContactUs.html" 
            NETQUOTEVAR:MOUSEOVERCALL><span class="actxxsmall">CONTACT
             US</span></A></b> <span class="actxxsmall"></span><br><br><span
             class="actxxsmall"></span> <b><A HREF="shop.html"
             TARGET="NETQUOTEVAR:NAVTARGET" NETQUOTEVAR:MOUSEOVERCALL><span
             class="actxxsmall">HOME</span></A></b> <span
             class="actxxsmall"></span></td></tr></table></td></tr><tr> <td
             width="167"><A HREF="http://support.actinic.co.uk/~dlsupport/actual/cgi
            -bin/mf000001.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM" TARGET="_self"
             ></A><br></td></tr><tr> <td><A HREF="shop.html" TARGET="_self"
             ></A><br>
            with
            Code:
            NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBHOME<br><br>NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBMAIL
            and Actinic should put the correct code in for you. (If the space between the links is too much, remove one of the <br>).

If you are using Brochure pages and you want consistent links, the change will also be needed in Act_BrochurePrimary.html.
            Bill

Comment

Bill,

I have tried that but I then lose the words in the same text as the other navigation links and would have to revert to using a gif as the link in Design Options. What I want to do is to have the same text as the menu but to link to the contact form and home page respectively. I am not sure if this should use NAVTEXT as part of the solution.
              Thanks

John

Comment

Dr John,

If text size was the only problem with the NQV solution, just use the <span> tags like this
                Code:
                <span class="actxxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBHOME<br><br>NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBMAIL</span>
                If you really want hand-coded links, then
                Code:
                 <span class="actxxsmall"><b><A  HREF='http://support.actinic.co.uk/~dlsupport/actual/cgi-bin/mf000001.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM"&amp;TARGET="_self"'>CONTACT US</A><br><A HREF="../index.html" TARGET="_self">HOME</A><br><br></b></span>
                should do the trick.
                Bill

Comment

Bill,

The hardcoding does exactly what is required. Thanks The other solution you suggested would I think still require the use of a gif for navigation rather than text. Is there a way of using a CUSTOM VAR for the website address so it only has to be changed one in the site defaults when the location moves?

Thanks

John

Comment

John,

The alternate solution would require that there be entries in the navigation tab of Design | Options, but the changes in Act_NavigationItem.html I proposed in post #2 would have changed these from gif images to text links.

Not sure what you mean about the website address. When you set up the shop to go live, one of the steps is to set the base site reference address which is the online location of your live acatalog folder. Actinic uses this in combination with the other Network Setup information to work out the addresses for NETQUOTEVARS.

If you have full path information including the "http: //www.mysite.com/ " in hand coded links, you can make these site address independent just by removing everything EXCEPT the final "/" so "http: //www.mysite.com/acatalog/test.html" would be just "/acatalog/test.html" (the spaces in the http bits are to stop the forum from converting those into links which lead nowhere).
                    Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X