Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading to Fasthost Problems

Hi All

Has anyone been having problems uploading to a Fasthost server before?

I have problems with it telling i dont have permission, that there is no CGI-BIN on the web server when i have been looking at and know its there and also when it gets three quarts of the way through uploading it stops and tells me there has been a problem and just stops.

Have gone through the forum and cant find anything relating to this and have been in contact with Fasthost who bluntly say "Go To Actinic for problems with their software" So lots of help there.

Any idea's folks?

Cheers

Taz

It is often the path to the cgi-bin specified in the netwrok settings that cause that problem especially if it is a unix server. If you can see the cgi-bin on the server using an FTP program then check the actual path ... this will often be something like user/public/www or similar rather than just www

also check the user permissions on the cgi-bin with the ftp program to see that you have the ability to write to the folder

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Are you on windows or linux hosting?

The most common fasthosts problems seem to be;
      CGI-BIN settings - you need to connect to your server and change the cgi-bin permission settings to 755 if they are not already there.

If the permissions are set correctly and you still have problems then ask fasthosts to confirm that cgi is enabled. Several threads indicate that fasthosts have problems where they indicate cgi is enabled when in fact its not.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Jont.....

Have checked permissions, and path and all seems ok, but obviously something isnt... When i run the test within the network advance option it never completes and always tells me that the cgi-bin doesnt exist on the web and that i dont have permission to write to a certain folder?!?!?

Fasthosts dont seem to want to know, which is a little annoying as i used them as i was given a very high recommendation to use them.

the exact message that comes up when trying to upload from Actinic is "Error occured while sending merge request"

beginning to wish i never started this site, has been more hassle than its worth

Comment

Have you seen this thread http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=11825

If you do a search under Initial Website for "Fasthosts" you will see others who have had fun with them

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

If you search the forums you will see many problems. Some people do get it to work eventually.
            Jenny
            Hanson Web Design
            www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Taz

I run four sites on Fasthosts two in Linix and one microsoft all operate ok but did have problems initially setting things up simular to yours

Suggest you re-phone fasthosts on 01452-541499 and ask to speak to the supervisor and explain the problem, when i did so a couple of hours latter it all worked ok but no explanation given

They also on one occassion changed to another server to solve the problem

Once they are running they are good and we have no problems
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

They dont want to know Chris. They have ran tests and PErl is fine. I started making progress i thought today until five minutes ago when i tried once more to reload after deleting all files on the server, but it only uploaded 40% of it, so i tried once more and now it gives me excuses that it cant merge....

Am i the only one with this problem as i find lots of Fasthost issues but none like this...

wish i had never used Fasthosts!

Comment

There is just a possibility that you have two separate issues here. To try and resolve the merge issue, go to Housekeeping | Compact databases and tick both boxes. Then try your upload again.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Taz

Please find enclosed copy of my network settings for Fasthosts on their linix server

If you are on a microsoft one ask them to transfer it to linix as there has been problems before, my sites work on both but prefer the security of linix
                    Attached Files
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi Taz,

Do you have a firewall on your computer?

I had a similar problem a little while ago and was advised to disable my Norton Firewall.

Regards,

David
                      -----------------------------
                      www.synchronisedwebdesign.com

Comment

i'm having a problem to change the permissions on windows server from fasthosts so i sent them email asking about it, and here is what they say:
                        ----
                        Unfortunately you are not able to change permissions on your domain as it is on a windows platform and on our system, only the Linux servers have the ability to change the permissions.
                        ----

what a joke how cant you change the permissions?!?!
                        can anyone help me?

Comment

That's correct you can't - but they should be able to change the permissions for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X