How long should I keep snapshots for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should I keep snapshots for?

Hi - I've been saving snapshots on an almost daily basis since setting my site up nearly a year ago. This means that i've got 300 or so snapshots saved. Is there any merit in having all these, or can I start culling them?

Nick
    Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

As a minimum, keep the last 7 days, and then keep every snapshot created on a certain day of the week - for either 6 months or 1 year.

Why the weekly copy? Just in case!!

Also archive a percentage of your snapshots to an alternative media (2nd hard disk, DVD, Cd, tape)

Comment

I take a daily snapshot to which I upload to a secure folder on the website overwriting the previous days. I keep a months worth of daily snapshots on the hard drive and then each 2 weeks or so also back these up onto a CD and just leave 2 weeks worth on the hard drive.

As I have Developer I also ocassionaly check the snapshot by importing into a dummy site to check the data is not corrupted - assuming it has backed up without error could prove very costly should I ever need to recover.

As others on the network have access to my computer plus they use it on my rare days off I need to be specially cautious! It has become part of the daily routine to make and upload the backups and with the costs of CD's being so cheap storage is not an issue either. Better safe than sorry my mum always told me

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thank you!
        Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Working...
        X