"Page not Found" errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Page not Found" errors

I am running my online store on a dedicated server. I have three things on that server: the business version of Actinic 7.03, photopost, and phBB.

Me and my customers are experiencing frequent (really frequent) "page not found" errors. A couple of refreshes will bring the screen back, but it is extremely frustrating, and impacting business.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? We see it in the shopping site, in the forums, and in the gallery.
    -------

Pat

Sounds to me as the comms coming into the box are overloaded. Even though you have a dedicated server, there is a traffic bottleneck else where

Comment

And what could I do to address that problem?
      -------

Pat

Comment

Speak to the people who co-locate the server

Comment

I've have had issues like this for some time on our old server and now on our new one. I keep finding lines in the server error_log, or emails from disgruntled customers complaining the online systems don't work.

I'm not sure what is causing this, but just living with it now. I have configured the web site stats program not to log any more of these 'pages not found'.

I don't think it's anything specific to our site or server. I wonder if it is a connection issue, as I often find that I get the 'page not found' error when browsing web sites, but the refresh button brings the page up.

Any guru's out there?

Bob
          Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
          Bob Isaac
          Director/Web Admin
          Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

Run your website through something like Xenu Link Sleuth to see if the problem is related to how your pages are named and linked. If Xenu does not find problems then, as Jo has suggested, you have response time problems and need to speak to your tech's.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I downloaded Xenu, and I've run it. What am I looking for that might explain the constant page not found errors? I'm getting these errors on pages that do exist. A couple of refreshes, and the page will eventually display. These errors are occuring as often as 1 out of every 4 enters at times. It's a huge issue for me, and I'm at a loss on what to do. The company hosting my server (dedicated server) is moving me to a larger server, but since it hasn't appeared to be a due to heavy usage, I'm concerned that a more powerful server won't fix the problem.
              -------

Pat

Comment

I've run this twice now. The first time I didn't get an "no connection" errors. The 2nd time, I got a lot. Here's one:

http://www.apeekintoyesterday.com/acatalog/actinic.css
                error code: 12029 (no connection), linked from page(s):
                (and a lot of pages are listed...)

I guess this is where I would receive, if browsing the site, a page not found error.

So the question remains, why?
                -------

Pat

Comment

Hi,

actinic.css is the page layout file for the theme you are using and will be linked by every page on your website.

The answer to the cause of the problem is in the error code. This is a Wininet code 12029 ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT The attempt to connect to the server failed, which takes you right back to Jo's post #2. Somewhere before the request reaches your server, there is insufficient comms capacity.

One of the most common causes of this sort of intermittent fault is a bad network cable between the server and the connection switch or router. Changing servers would help if this is the problem.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                  X