Increased Fuel Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increased Fuel Costs

My problems are tiny in comparison with the folks in New Orleans, but they must still be dealt with. As a major port for North American oil, shippings costs are climbing on a dail basis and there's no end in site.

Canada Post has an extra fuel cost added to the regular postage. This fuel cost changes with the price of gas - up. Is there a way to setup a variable which I can add to the total shipping cost rather than change these in the individual shipping zones which can be very time consuming? (ie - add $1.00 to Zone A & B and add $2.00 to Zone C).

Thanks

Al

You could add a handling charge, which can be fixed and/or a portion of the shipping charge.

If you're lucky you might even be able to change the name so it appears as 'Fuel cost supplement' or something.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

That looks like it could be the solution. Thanks Mike.

Comment

So this new fuel cost label is not a big hit with our customers. Even though they understand that shipping costs are increasing, they want this included in the overall shipping price as oppsosed to a separate line.

I've tried changing the shippingtemplate.pl by adding an extra 10% to the final shipping total in CalculateShipping, but it had no effect.

Does anyone know where I could make a change where I take the final shipping price and add a percentage to it? Thanks

Al

Comment

It's a shame your customers don't like the separate fuel charge as I thought that was a really neat solution.

The only other suggestion I can make is to go into your 'Site1\ShipControl\SimpleShipping.mdb' database and then go into the 'Bands' table.

You can then copy the 'BandCost' column into Excel, runa formula on it to change the shipping costs in bulk, and then paste the values back into Access.

Make sure you take a backup first though.

Comment

Hi Chris,

It was more our Canadian customers doing the complaining. I think it feels like another tax to them (sort of like the GST). We're going to go with it for a bit longer just to see what happens. I like the solution because it's easy to change and it was easy to change the text to Fuel Costs. Thanks again

Al

Comment

Working...
            X