X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actinic slowed to a crawl??

Hi.
    XpPro, Business v7

Actinic V7 has slowed down to an absolute crawl (15 minutes to open) ! , swapping between two products takes 58 seconds. (the hard disk light is going beserk)

task manager shows minimal cpu usage (normally 2%, max 4%), so its not that, I've checked out the memory, not that excessive (21mb?).

I am a very experienced computer support person (20+ yrs of experience) so I have done all the normal things and more. chkdsk'd and scandsk'd and others.

I've removed a new printer installation done a few days ago (epson 830U).
    I've uninstalled actinic and re-installed v7(04) - no change.
    it doesn't matter if its my main site or a brand new site created as the default, it still takes over 15 minutes to load then 58 seconds to swap between products
    rebooted numerous times

it takes the same amount of time to open Actinic in safe-mode and thats when there is just 9 process's open (and that includes zonealarm and mcafee)

opening up word, excel, paintshop, even dreamwaeaver is absolutely normal, JUST actinic (and I suspect its not the ms-access side of it)

I am very experienced in MsAccess and can successfully open mdb files, even those with linked files to all the standard actinic tables - this opens very quickly (or at least as quick as I would expect) - new queries can be created and run against the actinic tables, forms can be created etc etc
    • is there any DLL's or other files I should be looking at.
    • if I un-install actinic again, is there any extra files I need to remove
    • should I remove the odbc systemdns entries and let it re-install them.
    • what about a command line that I can force the total re-install to overwrite ALL the files regardless of current state?

any suggestions please.
    If I don't appear to come back instantly, its because its a very very busy day tomorrow and I shall be dipping into the forum every so often.
    thanks all.

kev

Kev,

Have seen a few posts around several fora that suggest a problem with the preview integration to IE in the latest Win update. Next time you open try switching to the two pane view (i.e. no active preview) and see if this resolves the problem. Let us know if this does make a difference, as I'd like to add to a previous report in an MS forum.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill, thanks for the quick reply.

Shame, I thought you could solve my problem in a matter of minutes, problem is that its the "minutes" thats annoying -

I always default my display to just the two panes, the content-tree and the section-details.
      within about 3 minutes of starting to play with actinic (on the very first day), I got so annoyed with the slowness of the refreshing, I turned the damned thing off !

i have opened the catalogue just to make sure and I'm afraid to say that it is definately just set to show two panes.

kev

Comment

Kev,

That is disappointing but illuminating. I am running XpPro, Symantec, XP Firewall, MS anti-spyware beta and not having any problems specific to Actinic except I have to change page to force a refresh on the live preview. My slowest loading prog is Adobe Photoshop 7.0. I also run adaware and ccleaner on a daily basis just after my daily backup.

Do you have MS or Google desktop search active? Encryption or compression on any part of the drive?

Every day brings a new challenge, doesn't it? Hope you resolve this soon.
        Last edited by wjcampbe; 02-Sep-2005, 10:33 PM. Reason: spelling - what else?
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill

on a basic system, its XpPro, mcAfee, zoneAlarm (+hardware firewall) and ad-aware but NO search-toolbars
          the cost of hardware nowadays means that compression is no longer neccessary and for me, apart from the seventeen secret swiss bank account numbers , nothing is secret enough for encryption

Like I say, I even get the problem on Safe-Mode and there, wer'e down to a minimum system

as with a lot of these things, there has to be something going on, and I will probably have one of those eureka moments and abandon the dinner or something to fix the problem in a matter of seconds, I just wish one of those moments would happen soon !

thanks anyway.

kev

Comment

Hi there

Could you take a look at this knowledge base article and see if it helps you at all?

Other than that, it sounds like you've done all the sensible things.

Comment

Youv'e made me a happy chappy.
              Tracing was on, have no idea why, certainly not turned on intentionally, but its now back to the normal speed.

many thanks

kev

Comment

Working...
              X