X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!

Hi everyone,

I've just launched my companies new website at http://www.stonetrader.co.uk

This is the first time i've used actinic or ever built a site before! I'm looking for some pointers as to how i can improve my site to make it more appealing and user friendly. One thing i would like to do is to add a column to the right hand side where i can place images and specials offers. I'm currently using one of the actinic templates and have no idea how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

I assume if this is your first site you have no knowledge of HTML? If this is the case it may be worth looking at some of the othe themes that are available - the SMART theme features a right hand column into which you can add images, special offers etc.

If you know HTML you will need to edit the Act_Primary template and split one of the cells to create a right hand column

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks for that, I would like to use the current template but add a right hand column. I have a basic understanding of HTML. Do you think you could give me a run down of how to add the extra column?

Comment

If you open the Act_Primary in your web editing software (Dreamweaver, Frontpage etc) you will see the layout tables along with the Actinic variables (NETQUOTEVAR's) - simply split the main central cell into 2 cells ensuring any NETQUOTEVAR's are still in the central cell.

I would make the new right hand cell a fixed width to aid layout. You may need to reset the ACTSWIDTH value in Actinic under Design | Options | Site Defaults as this sets the main width of the products and section pages (the main cell area you have just split. So if the ACTSWIDTH is set at 600 and you have set the new right hand cell to 150 (pixels) then make the new ACTSWIDTH 450 - bearing in mind if you have any cell padding.

Save and preview in Actinic.

Best to make a copy of the Act_Primary before you start in case it goes pear shaped.

HTH

Bikster

Comment

To keep the entire page visible in a browser using 800 width settings, you will need to change your existing Act_Primary.html.

Currently the naviagtion column is 170 wide and the main column 600 wide for a total of 770. If these are hard coded, you need to change them. If you used CUSTOMVAR:ACTSTDWIDTH to set the main column width as 600, try reducing this to 450 to get space for another column.

Then you need to add code for a new colum after the end of your existing table - I found that to be the second </table> tag after your phone number on the existing page.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thomas - don't feel overwhelmed, jont and I have a habit of doing this. I am off trying out the change in my html prog to make sure it works and he posts. I finish checking and post - he's beat me to it .

There is one thread here today where we both posted same time - important thing is, you will note we are consistent in our answers .
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
              There is one thread here today where we both posted same time - important thing is, you will note we are consistent in our answers .
              Like a pair of tag team wrestlers

Bikster

Comment

You two getting married soon?

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                  If you open the Act_Primary in your web editing software (Dreamweaver, Frontpage etc) you will see the layout tables along with the Actinic variables (NETQUOTEVAR's) - simply split the main central cell into 2 cells ensuring any NETQUOTEVAR's are still in the central cell.

I would make the new right hand cell a fixed width to aid layout. You may need to reset the ACTSWIDTH value in Actinic under Design | Options | Site Defaults as this sets the main width of the products and section pages (the main cell area you have just split. So if the ACTSWIDTH is set at 600 and you have set the new right hand cell to 150 (pixels) then make the new ACTSWIDTH 450 - bearing in mind if you have any cell padding.

Save and preview in Actinic.

Best to make a copy of the Act_Primary before you start in case it goes pear shaped.

HTH
                  Thanks I'll give that a go!

Tom.

Comment

Tom - good luck - if your web program has a split view mode for WYSIWYG / HTML best to work in that so you don't orphan any of the Actinic code.

Jo - is that an offer to be an usher?

Bikster

Comment

i might be able to run to a pressie!!

Comment

Would it be too cheeky to ask for a toaster? 4 slice preferably....

Bikster

Comment

clearly got so much bread, bit like Mr Gates

Comment

Working...
                          X