New Front page will not load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Front page will not load

I have recently changed my web host and also the website layout, why will my new front page not load, it has an extremely old version from about 12 months ago on it now?

www.mustardcards.com

Thanks
    Mustard

I guess you mean this page: http://www.mustardcards.com/index.html

I would guess that you or your host have a redirect set up that points to the old page. Look for a .htaccess file in your web root or contatc your host for more details.

Mike

edit. I don't know who your host is, but there's a very dodgy redirect there for non-existent pages. Have you changed the dns for your domain name yet or are you still relying on a re-direct from your old host ?
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Mike

I am not very technical I am afraid where exactly is the .ht access file?

thanks

what is dns? My friend hosts the website for me foc as he got me the web address etc. I have just had an e-mail from him and he said I need to amend the .php file? can't even find a php file!!!!!!!!!!
      Last edited by Mustard; 08-Sep-2005, 03:24 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Connect to the site using an FTP program and take a look for the .htaccess file - this is a file which tells browsers to change locations, redirect to alternative pages etc.

At the moment the index.php file on the server is creating an error... the index.html page is there and working fine and links through to the rest of your site. I would connect to the server using an FTP program download and edit the .htaccess file using Notepad (not Word or WordPad etc) and set a redirect from index.php to index.html ... without seeing the .htaccess file it is guess work as to what the underlying problem is but a redirect should work. Take a look at this thread for how to set up the redirect http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=15941

As Mike says at the moment there is a redirect to UKSeracher.co.uk for files not found. Not great. You can also edit the .htacces file to point 404 (missing file) error messages to point to your own custom page.. include in the .htaccess file

ErrorDocument 404 /page_not_found.htm

where page_not_found.htm can be a custom error page saying "Oops file not found" and links to the rest of the site etc

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

DNS is Domain Name System which in essence is a big index of all webservers and sites which converts what you enter into the web browser eg www.microsoft.com to the the host name an IP address eg 195.2.6.87

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/d.../bldef_dns.htm explains it further

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
          X