Strange flash-up screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange flash-up screen

Hello there. Been skirting around this community for ages taking advice from the masters of Actinic.

Thought it about time i posted and raise a question. I have a strange screen that flashes up while navigating between pages on my actinic site. Anyone know what it is and please, please let me know how to get rid of it!!!! its driving me nuts.

Im not an actinic master so it could be something simple.

Also if anyone could spare a minute to take a look at my site they might be able to give me a few pointers into any improvements i could make.

Would really appreciate the help ladies and gentlemen.

Many thanks

Michael Houlden

Pure Thoughts Soap Company

Luxury Handmade Soap, Bath Treats, Skincare and Gifts.

The 'page' that appears to be flashing up is your navigation cell, which opens as part of the 100% wide table before being pushed back into place on the left when your main page section opens.

The way to stop that is to put that navigation inside a table, inside the existing cell ( a nested table) and specify a width (fixed or percentage) for that table

Sorry but no time to look through the site at the moment - going to a meeting at 9pm and its already 7.40 over here.

best regards,
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply bill.

Will make the appropriate amendments. Looking through the community you seem to be one useful fellow to know.

Thanks for your time.

Enjoy the meeting.

Regards
      Michael Houlden

Comment

Michael, my meeting has been cancelled so I found time for a look round the site.

I found contradictions between the dispatch time quoted in your FAQ, your terms and your shipping page.

A lot of correctly spelled wrong words in the FAQ - example thorough instead of through, also found pafe instead of page.

Large blank space at the botton of the FAQ - over a page in a low resolution browser.

You are using opt-out for your collection of customer details - that might put a few people off.

I thought I caught the original navigation cell 'flash' as I opened the terms page for the first time, but no repeat.

Your about page is still light.

Product wise - I hope you intend to add a bit more text on your products, perhaps including some description of the ingredients and as much of the manufacturing process as you can reveal without letting the cat out of the bag.

Colour scheme and navigation, clean and simple - matches the product. I thing you are going in the right direction.
        Bill

Comment

Bill,

Many many thanks for the comments regarding the site. The site is still very much a work in progress and the typos and spelling mistakes probably reflect that i need to do a thorough check.

Will be improving the site with the suggestions you made.

Ithink when you have sat in front of actinic doing a website you become blind to the obvious spelling mistakes!!!!!

The product page/about us page is still light as i am still making final decisions on the products. When completed full descriptions of colour, scent, manufacturing process.......etc

Once again bill, many thanks for your time.

ps where are you if you are an hour ahead of UK time. Somewhere nice????
          Michael Houlden

Comment

Michael, I'm in Alexandria, Egypt. Warm, sunny - till next month. We enjoy good weather from May till early October every year (low to mid 30's centigrade), with cooler (cold to us) weather from October to March (mid teens to low twenties), and high winds/rain March/April.

I like it.
            Bill

Comment

Bill

Sorry to be a pain but im struggling to undertsand how to solve the problem of the "Flash" screen.

the navigation area on the right is already in a table. not really sure why the screen keeps flashing up.

as you said the problem occurs everynow and then and doesnt seem to repeat.

can you help me anymore with this matter??
              Michael Houlden

Comment

Michael,

It might be worth adding a width statement to your cells, just in front of the height statement. What I see happening is the cell opens at the specified height, right across the page. Theoretically, if the width was specified first, it would open at that width and the visual 'problem' effect should go away.

BUT table definition is not complete till the closing table tag is found, so it might also be worthwhile breaking this panel down into more than one table i.e. one with a specified width containing just the whats new/product info (which would open quickly, setting the screen for what follows, then a second table with the rest of the column contents.

Worth the experiment?
                Bill

Comment

Just noticed - the image in the Gift Service area is referenced to a location on your C: drive - need to copy that into your site1 directory and relink to it in Actinic.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X