CSV Import and field sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSV Import and field sizes

OK, it's getting late and my head aches from banging it on the desk!

I'm creating a flat file import CSV through Excel 2003. It has extended text that reaches about 500 chars. However, Excel displays the contents of this cell as a sequence of about 500 "#" signs and, when saving as a CSV, the text is being created as about 500 "#" signs. Excel has a field display width limit of 255 chars but allows for 32k in each cell (I think).

Anyone any experience here before I take one headache table too many.

Thanks

Andy
    Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
    SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
    Based in rural Northants

I believe that you can only access the first 255 through linking. If you more than this you should link through MS Access instead.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks Jan.

You say only "the first 255 through linking" - I guess you meant to say "through importing"?

regards

Andy
      Based in rural Northants

Comment

Actually I meant linking - what I did do however was misread you question, sorry about that.

You can edit long text fields in Excel, I don't know why you are getting those '#' characters.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

I can't understand it either - even now I'm refreshed. I look at the cell and it is filled with "#"'s. I can click on it and the original contents are there and can be edited. I may have to think about linking it in to an external file, but there are about 200 products I currently want to to do this with.....
          Based in rural Northants

Comment

You can sometimes get the #'s appearing if the actual cell width in excel is not wide enough - try stretching the column width handle - especially if the cell contents are there and editable ... worth a try.....

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thanks Jonty... I've done that. The column will only stretch to 255 characters. I've also formatted the cell to word wrap i.e. put the content on multiple lines. That didn't work either! Although, I didn't try that combination in reverse (word wrap and then resize the column - might be worth the effort!)

Oh the joys of Microsoft!
              Based in rural Northants

Comment

Microsoft know about the problem and provide a solution for linked workbooks - may be the same will work if you open the database in access before opening the spreadsheet.

[ADDED] Found the solution for Access - see http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;208801
                [/added]
                Last edited by wjcampbe; 14-Sep-2005, 06:16 AM. Reason: removed first link - leaving only the working solution
                Bill
                www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks Bill. Nearly but not quite. However, I'm still searching Microsoft...

I can edit the contents to 255 characters and it displays correctly. Getting closer!!

Andy
                  Based in rural Northants

Comment

Goz, you might have missed the second url I posted which has a multi cell and concatenation approach suggestion from M$.
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

OK, it's getting late and my head aches from banging it on the desk!

This time for a completely different reason. My professional reputation (I'm an IT consultant) is in tatters!!

Thank you to William for providing me with the answer - albeit indirectly. You were correct in that I overlooked your second link. Having read it, I decided to use the part to chop the description into pieces and then concatenate them. It worked an absolute treat and boy was I chuffed. So, thank you again. I then made the mistake of using Paste Format from the concatenation to the original description. I don't think you need me to go on! I played about with the formatting on the cell last night - but obviously not enough.

Sorry for having wasted people's time. Boy, this humble pie tastes good!

Thanks

Andy
                      Based in rural Northants

Comment

Working...
                      X