X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image pro folder getting too large!

Hi

Is there a way to check easily which image files are actually required
    by our live actinic site so as to flush out all the old image pro files that
    are clogging up our hard drive? Currently we have every image we have ever
    used still saved in the image pro folder but we probably only require half of them. I know I can look for last modified dates but some images that
    were modified ages ago are still being used.

Hope someone can help before anymore steam comes out of my pc!

Thanks

James

Can't think of an easy automated way - you could export the Actinic file to a spreadsheet and sort the images by name and compare to the images folder and delete or remove accordingly.

Hopefully someone will have an automated way of checking.....

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Presumably you could ftp into your webspace, sort your directory by file type and print it out.

That should give you a list of images that are being used on the website.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Xenu can be configured to generate a list of orphan files - have not tried it, but with thousands of files it could be a quick answer.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Not sure what you are referring to as 'Image Pro' folder.
          If you mean all the redundant images for products no longer on sale, one way could be to delete all the images from the server, then perform a full refresh.
          This would upload all images in use to your server.
          To clear your own hard drive down, you could then delete all images from your hard drive, and then download them from the server.
          Backing up the hard drive prior to this would be an obvious precaution!
          Must say that I haven't tried this, and would probably take quite some upload/download time, but 'should' have the desired effect, and will save you having to wade through the files in a piecemeal fashion.
          Thats assuming I haven't got the wrong end of the stick about what you are asking about!
          Martin

ps thinking about this, you should be aware that this probably wouldn't save any images associated with hidden products or sections, as I am not so sure that these would be uploaded on a refresh

Comment

Working...
          X