Pay Pal setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay Pal setup

I normally use epdq for card processing but when they have downtime (too often), I need an alternative. Thinking about Pay Pal.
    Pay Pal say "set up in minutes", but does anyone know the reality of whats involved with using pay pal with Actinic e.g. time it takes, process, & real cost?
    www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

Done more research on this & will be using Pay Pal as an additional payment method.
    On the question of whether standard or Express checkout is better with Actinic. Pay Pal recommend Express, but it looks like that may be more difficult to implement than standard. Has anyone tried both & got a comparison of advice?
    I'm not convinced I need express as I already have epdq with secure hosting Pay pal will be mainly intended as just an addition to this, but may be handy when epdq is down.
    Last edited by calmncomfy; 20-Sep-2005, 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
    www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

Comment

Caution with PayPal

Having operated our US company with the options of PayPal and our regular payment processor (Authorize.Net), to keep things simple, when starting the British division of Solar Illuminations (www.solarilluminations.co.uk) for the time being we are using only PayPal, as the payment processor. This is because PayPal will accept UK debit and credit card customers even if they do not have a PayPal account.
      However, what we have found is that we experience about a 33% 'bail out' effect where the customer places the order but never actually ends up making a payment. Loosing 1 in 3 customers is not good news and we think this is mainly due to the PayPal log in screen not being clear enough. Customers assume they need a PayPal account and do not proceed to the next screen (the all important payment).
      We have addressed this by creating new text content in the screen with the PayPal button 'Pay Now' (just before you leave the web site to go to the PayPal secure server). The text informs the customer of the options and makes it clear they do not need a PayPal account to make a payment.
      So far, this seems to have had a positive effect. There is just one other issue that needs attention and that is the pre-filled customer name/address details that appear on the PayPal payment form do not have the county shown pre-filled. Instead it says something like England or UK and as county looks like country, the field looks as though it is correct but it takes some customers some time to realize you have to actually change the country field to your county. Then, there is the stupid code you have to enter at the foot of the form. All this makes the PayPal payment process a little longer and harder to complete that maybe it need be.
      In saying all that, at least there are no monthly fees or contracts to sign up to. Their commission rates at the best, but it getting the PayPal facility up and running is simple enough.

Comment

Working...
      X