Error pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error pages?

My current web stats pack shows various error pages - some of which I can find and understand (and try to fix - missing links / pictures etc) but does anyone know what the following would be?

......co.uk/favicon.ico
    ......co.uk/tinc

It also shows 47 errors against the robots.txt - I know that this is the file searched by spiders & robots (does that mean the spiders won't find me?) but am clueless about why it would show in the error pages - have I done something wrong again?

Thank you

Not sure about .../tinc, but favicon.ico is called when people bookmark your site . . . or if visitors are using FireFox.

Google it and you'll find icon editors so you can make your own.

Either way, it's not a massive problem.
    David
    Mandrake Press Ltd

<a href="http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk" target="_blank">www.mandrake-press.co.uk</a>

Comment

The favicon.ico is a small image that appears against your URL in Firefox and Netscape etc (not used by IE) or when they bookmark you as David says

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Oh, and the robots.txt is displaying because you don't have one, so it's a 404 error.

What robots.txt does is tell the bots where they *can't* go, again, a quick Google will help you out with how to format the file.

David
        Mandrake Press Ltd

<a href="http://www.mandrake-press.co.uk" target="_blank">www.mandrake-press.co.uk</a>

Comment

Thanks you both - it's a relief to know that the errors aren't really huge mistakes of my causing and can't do any serious harm as far as site visitors are concerned.

I'll take a look on Google - didn't know Spark could be made into a bookmark icon but that would be kind of cute. I've been trying to figure out a "click to bookmark my site" (1&1 have some codes to paste) but haven't quite got it right yet.

I'll figure this stuff out soon - thought after previous posts that the robot.txt was an automatic file that I still needed to figure out how to edit - oh well, better first find out how to create one. Thanks again - I'll take a look at Google.

Comment

tinc is a reference used in setup of the 1 & 1 provided forum software - which is not customisable (cannot be adapted to match the website theme) - either you played with their software then discarded it or someone who knows 1 & 1 packages was having a nose around.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

For a Bookmark script try http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/addfav.html

The is a photoshop tutorial at http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...r/favicon.html for the favicon - useful even if you don't have Photoshop

Bikster

Comment

Thanks Jonty - Photoshop is another package I'm trying to grips with at the moment so the tutorial will really help - I've had a look at the hooverwebdesign script and think I might even be able to manage that - it looks a lot more straightforward than the 1&1 option that came with frames and all sorts of other things I really didn't understand.

Bill, thank you - I don't think I looked at the forum software from 1&1 (might have done though) but I did try to use their newsletter & send my site to a friend patches - could that be the problem? I didn't managed to get them to look or work properly so took them back out again for now. Do you know if all of the 1&1 add-ons are actinic incompatible? Can I also ask - you mentioned that if someone knows 1&1 they can nose around - does that mean that anyone can get into and perhaps alter things on my site without me knowing? Do I need to do anything to stop it from happening - if so, what?

I'm sorry to keep asking so many basic questions - each one seems to lead onto something else and every day seems to throw in new possibilities (with a large handful of mistakes & yet more questions).

Sonia

Comment

Sonia,

I abandoned all of the 1 & 1 standard offerings after finding better (configuration and look and feel customisation) options in other free software areas. I was able to get some (only some) of the add-ons working with Actinic, but just found them all a bit dull and jaded.

On the nosing around, - I find people still look for the /tinc directory on my site, though I removed the software maybe six months ago. I also get 404 HTML error responses caused by people asking for files/directories that are created by frontpage (and I don't use frontpage) - some people just like to play.

I have all 404 errors redirected in an .htaccess file to a static slightly altered copy of my sitemap, saved off as 404.html - this catches all of the strange requests as well as the honest typing mistakes or any changes I make to the website that I don't set 301 redirects on (and seeing those as referrers in the calls to the 404 page remind me to make the needed entries).

Take your time - just look up the terms you are not familiar with (either here using forum search, or in your favourite search engine). Some things, it's a good idea to set up soon, others can wait till you have the time to do it right.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                    error responses caused by people asking for files/directories that are created by frontpage (and I don't use frontpage) - some people just like to play.
                    They tend to be from automated software (or people manually)trying to hack known vulnerabilities at random.

I get a lot of calls to a CSS folder which does not/never existed which I put down to people trying to be nosey to see how certain things have been done

Bikster

Comment

Thank you both again - I really wouldn't have a clue where to start looking or what to look for if it weren't for this forum. I'm starting to build up quite a large file of things done and still to do (quite daunting but slowly getting there). You're right though Bill - it takes time and the hardest part is knowing which bits to tackle first.

Bye for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X