Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business loads ......erm......when it feels like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business loads ......erm......when it feels like it?

I have a strange problem that is being made worse by the fact that I dont actually work there anymore............ I used to run a site, and when I left the company, I said I would carry on giving them support by telephone as I have moved 120 miles. OK, heres the problem: "Actinic has caused an error and will be closed down" I forget the actual expression, but you get the drift! So I instruct them to make a back up, uninstall the software, reinstall it and replace the back up file. All this fails so we decide that the PC is a bit old and dusty, and we will install it on another PC. All worked well for 24 hours, but the next day, either the same message appears, or actinic gets as far as its splash screen and closes.

I'm now waiting for the company to call me back with further developments, but has anyone got any clues as to what has gone wrong? Could the back up file be corrupt? By the way, the back up file we are using is ActinicCatalog.mdb and this is for a specific reason. The PC in question only deals with the orders, so they need to keep records of the customer invoices etc, while the actual online store is updated from another PC at a different location.

Glenn, please take this the right way, but would it not be easier and more productive to introduce the person now maintaining the site to this forum?

The sooner they come to rely on themselves (OK - and us), the sooner you will be free from their queries.

We are more likely to be able to help them, if we can get the actual text and circumstances of the error(s) straight from the guy at the keyboard.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

There have been quite a few reports of 7.0.2 crashing under certain conditions. You might want to make sure they're using the latest version.

I'd suggest making a full backup of everything including the security keys first as you want to make sure things don't go from bad to worse.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

William, I take it in the well intended way that it was meant
        You're absolutely right of course, I must learn to let go!! The problem is all mine, it was my baby, I designed it, I maintained it, and the rest of the staff are not very PC literate, so it worries me that all I have done will be lost!
        But yes, it's time to let the little ones fly the nest, and I have passed the url of this site to the current users.
        Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
        X